Breeding White with Black & Partridge with White?

Jan 2, 2019
I live in New Zealand, & there are not that many Silkie breeders here, so most of them keep their pullets & hens .... so it's proving really hard finding the colors I want (I'm quite new to breeding Silkies). I've ended up with two white silkie cockerels of 6.5 months old, & their father who is around a year old now .... plus a beautiful partridge cockerel of 9 months old .... the cockerels were hand-raised from eggs. I've been trying to find a good home for two of the white boys, but proving difficult, so I've put a black sizzle girl of 9 months old in with one of them, as he was obviously getting lonely on his own. The other white cockerel boy is in with his three sisters (I won't be breeding from them, & all girls are good layers). I really wanted to breed blues & greys, but grey is not a recognized color here in New Zealand, & blues pullets/hens are impossible to get hold of. I don't know if I want to breed from the white boy with the black sizzle girl, as I have no idea what I would get, apart from a mish-mash of odd colors .... this is what I've read anyway. My partridge boy is very handsome, & I really would love to breed him with a couple of good partridge girls, but most breeders here don't like partridge, so don't work with them. He's in with a white sizzle girl that he was raised with. Again, I am thinking that if I breed them, I am going to end up with a mish-mash of unrecognized colors. Am I right in thinking this? I have already bred from my white pair ... they are the parents of the two 6 month old white cockerels. I don't want to breed from them again, & the hen stopped laying some months ago, anyway. I tried putting a black pullet in with him, but he really didn't like her & would not even attempt to mate with her. Just pecked at all all the time, poor girl, so I had to remove her after several days of this, for her safety & well-being. I feel I am now really restricted to the colors I can raise from the Silkies I have, & I don't want to bring in eggs to hatch from another breeder, because the last time I did that, I ended up with four cockerels & just two hens (both sizzle, which I had not wanted). Any ideas, anyone???

Back
Top Bottom