1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeds for warm/hot weather

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by seminolewind, Jun 27, 2011.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Some of my chickens seem to not do well in the heat, (90 degrees for 5 months, more or less, with humidity). Which breeds tolerate the heat better?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Seminole,
    You have some brahmas? Mine do well in the heat, real well. I think the only reason Brigid passed away was because she was also suffering from egg peritonitis.
    They've forecast all 100s for us this week. When they predict something you have to add 5 degrees to their forecast, then add in the heat index. [​IMG]
    ETA: You wouldn't think brahmas would, but they do.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  3. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    I suggest birds that are not tightly feathered such as Cornish. The fluffier the better.

4. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    As I understand it, chickens lose body heat through blood passing through their combs and wattles and being cooled there before returning to the body. So breeds with very large combs and wattles will handle the heat better than those with small pea combs and whatnot. Spanish and Mediterrenean breeds are all more heat tolerant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by