Bright blue spots inside egg shell?

When you go to cook your eggs do you wash them at all? Or just go ahead and get crackin with the unwashed ones?
I never wash eggs, I just crack them. Same for my family or anyone else I share with.. though I do disclose they're unwashed. My son said my unwashed eggs are cleaner than the washed eggs of his gf's family. And my friend has some yucky ones.. even if you wash dropping off, they still seem to stain.. Set up really makes a difference. I'm hard core about my birds.. and anyone who consistently mucks eggs will be eaten or re-homed.. When hatching eggs sometimes go for $65/dozen.. that's a deal breaker for ME.

I make sure hen bumms stay clean and nests stay fresh.. mucky eggs get rinsed off and used first never going in the fridge OR rinsed then cooked and fed back to animals as a treat on occasion. Mucky too me means droppings.. during the rain season I might see a mud smear left on an earlier laid egg in the same nest.. any dirt gets dusted off of dry eggs.. but I have a good amount of dry bedding between the coop door and the nest so it hasn't been much of an issue despite living in the Pacific Northwest and having our share of the rain. :)

I started keeping chickens because of salmonella egg recalls about 10 years ago.. Purchasing from NPIP flock helps to avoid having it in your flock as their birds are tested yearly I think. I have YET to have anyone become ill from eating by eggs or birds, from e-coli, salmonella, or anything else. Even my raw chickens stay fresh with no slime or smell for 2 weeks in the fridge after harvesting. It's amazing what a difference there is between our home products and that of factory anything.. done in bulk control diminishes.

And notice I said rinsing.. is running eggs under water doing anything to their bacterial load for real.. that is beneficial? Seems like it would just swirl stuff around unless you're using an anti-bacterial agent.. in my brain at least.. There are some egg washes and such.. but the eggs I'm getting are already costing me probably close to double what the super market ones go for.. my house, my birds, my germs.. bacteria keep us alive.. I'm not brain washed by the limited education I received and the commercials telling me I gotta do thing the way they NEED to commercially. :)

As noted by the OP.. many of us can even identify exactly which bird laid the egg.. so I keep it simple as much as possible.. limit my exertion because I've already got 15,000 things I won't accomplish each day an another 1,500 thoughts flooding my brain at any given time..

I still put dates on eggs.. and usually crack every one into a dish first.. because I don't like meat or blood spots.. or even accidental shells.

I never wash eggs, I just crack them. Same for my family or anyone else I share with.. though I do disclose they're unwashed. My son said my unwashed eggs are cleaner than the washed eggs of his gf's family. And my friend has some yucky ones.. even if you wash dropping off, they still seem to stain.. Set up really makes a difference. I'm hard core about my birds.. and anyone who consistently mucks eggs will be eaten or re-homed.. When hatching eggs sometimes go for $65/dozen.. that's a deal breaker for ME.

I make sure hen bumms stay clean and nests stay fresh.. mucky eggs get rinsed off and used first never going in the fridge OR rinsed then cooked and fed back to animals as a treat on occasion. Mucky too me means droppings.. during the rain season I might see a mud smear left on an earlier laid egg in the same nest.. any dirt gets dusted off of dry eggs.. but I have a good amount of dry bedding between the coop door and the nest so it hasn't been much of an issue despite living in the Pacific Northwest and having our share of the rain. :)

I started keeping chickens because of salmonella egg recalls about 10 years ago.. Purchasing from NPIP flock helps to avoid having it in your flock as their birds are tested yearly I think. I have YET to have anyone become ill from eating by eggs or birds, from e-coli, salmonella, or anything else. Even my raw chickens stay fresh with no slime or smell for 2 weeks in the fridge after harvesting. It's amazing what a difference there is between our home products and that of factory anything.. done in bulk control diminishes.

And notice I said rinsing.. is running eggs under water doing anything to their bacterial load for real.. that is beneficial? Seems like it would just swirl stuff around unless you're using an anti-bacterial agent.. in my brain at least.. There are some egg washes and such.. but the eggs I'm getting are already costing me probably close to double what the super market ones go for.. my house, my birds, my germs.. bacteria keep us alive.. I'm not brain washed by the limited education I received and the commercials telling me I gotta do thing the way they NEED to commercially. :)

As noted by the OP.. many of us can even identify exactly which bird laid the egg.. so I keep it simple as much as possible.. limit my exertion because I've already got 15,000 things I won't accomplish each day an another 1,500 thoughts flooding my brain at any given time..

I still put dates on eggs.. and usually crack every one into a dish first.. because I don't like meat or blood spots.. or even accidental shells.
Thank you for the information and the in-depth explanation. It is so appreciated! I have 15 pullets that will hit 20 weeks tomorrow so I’m hoping for eggs soon.

I’m still new at chicken-keeping so trying to plan how I’m going to handle egg storage. My MIL always washed hers and put them straight in the fridge- and I never questioned washing or refrigerating eggs until I actually started to do some research. I love hearing about what experienced keepers do so I can create my own best practice when it’s time (hopefully sooner than later)!

I have never seen anything like that. It looks like two different half-shells, do you know if they were from the same egg? Was it all egg shells or just those two halves?

From the pattern I could see that it could be bacteria. How much time passed after opening, four or five hours? I have trouble envisioning bacteria growing that bright in that time frame. I can't see how anybody could have missed that even if they had not had their coffee. I'm not a micro-biologist but would you expect a bacteria to look that smooth? Wouldn't you expect it to be fuzzy?

That puts me in mind of cleaning crystals, maybe for cleaning commodes. That blue is just so darn bright.

They were in the sink about an hour and a half before I got to the dishes.

Thanks Aart, I missed that. I just cannot imagine bacteria growing like that in that time.

It would be interesting to put a bit of that in something with egg in it to see if if it grows. Just a jar with a screw lid. If it is bacteria it should.

I'm betting on some kind of chemical, probably some powder or crystals for cleaning.

When you go to cook your eggs do you wash them at all? Or just go ahead and get crackin with the unwashed ones?

I usually don't wash them before using - crack and go. I do refrigerate thm unwashed. If an egg is dirty enough that it makes me think "This needs washing" then I rinse and scrub under lukewarm water, use it right away / refrigerate it and put it in front of the line.

I think it grew inside the egg before being opened for eating.. perhaps.. bacteria sucked into micro crack when washed before going into the fridge.. not after opening. Therefor.. been growing longer than just that couple hours. :confused:
We will never know, unless they find another one.

Back
Top Bottom