Broken Leg Led To Infection?

danwright

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2018
I have a chicken that I rescued that has a broken leg. I wasn't 100% sure it was broken until the vet looked at her several weeks after I got her, by which time, her muscles had started to stiffen. We fashioned a splint out of jewelry wire and Coflex bandage, which she'd been wearing for several hours and it was helping keep her leg in a more natural state. The plan was to slowly increase the bend of the wire as her flexibility improved. I noticed a few minutes ago that her foot seems swollen, like she has an infection. I also noticed the other chick she was with has been pecking at her foot (hence the blukote). Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do?

Attachments

• poppy foot 1.jpg
    poppy foot 1.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 11
  • poppy foot 2.jpg
    poppy foot 2.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 7
The bandage is wrapped too tightly. Left in place, the foot will eventually lose its oxygen supply and die. A chicken's shank can feel as hard as a piece of wood, but it's no different in blood circulation than any other animal.

Remove the bandage and leave it off for 24 hours and give the tissue a chance to recover. Then rewrap keeping in mind not to crank it down so tightly the blood can't circulate.

Back
Top Bottom