Brooder & any raising help appreciated!!!

RainValleyFarm

Songster
Mar 4, 2021
Lexington Kentucky
Hi guys! I am picking up day old chicks on Saturday (18 of them!) so I have a few questions.

1. How do I regulate the temperature with a brooder plate? I don’t want to use lamps as they scare me (fire hazard)

2. I have about a 2 hour drive with them. How can I prepare for them to stay warm enough on the drive? Should I provide food and water in the car? I don’t know what they do when mailing them.

3. I plan to do probiotics and electrolytes in the water for the first few days. Anything else I should plan to add? I’m still debating on medicated vs non medicated feed so your opinions on that would be appreciated also!

4. I have chick grit but I’m assuming they shouldn’t have that right away? Or should they?

5. anything else I should be prepared for and have on hand?

my first go around of babies from TSC went very poorly so I’m extremely nervous this time around to start with them so young! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

1. I’ve never had to regulate the temp on my brooder plate. The plate really stays one temp. The regulation is you moving it up as they grow. I like to keep one side of my plate tilted down a bit more. The chicks will move in and out as they need.

2. When I travel with chicks I just use the heat in the car. Or bring the one time use heating pads, hot hands for example, wrapped in a towel. I don’t think food and water is necessary. It’ll make a mess and the water could spill and make the chicks cold.

3. The probiotics and electrolytes are what I use for new chicks. I also use medicated feed. I use it because I’m hatching multiple chicks over a span of a couple months. So it gives the chicks a little more protection. I used to not use medicated feed but switched over after I did a little more reading on it. I found it was right for my situation.

4. I never used to give chick grit until my chicks started getting constipated. Now I offer it mixed with soil from outside. The soil here is clay so mixing it in gives them more substance than just dirt. The soil also exposes them to any parasites that might be outside. That way they’re already exposed to it.

5. I always have poultry cell and nutridrench on hand. I found it super useful for any chick that might need a boost.

1. I’ve never had to regulate the temp on my brooder plate. The plate really stays one temp. The regulation is you moving it up as they grow. I like to keep one side of my plate tilted down a bit more. The chicks will move in and out as they need.

2. When I travel with chicks I just use the heat in the car. Or bring the one time use heating pads, hot hands for example, wrapped in a towel. I don’t think food and water is necessary. It’ll make a mess and the water could spill and make the chicks cold.

3. The probiotics and electrolytes are what I use for new chicks. I also use medicated feed. I use it because I’m hatching multiple chicks over a span of a couple months. So it gives the chicks a little more protection. I used to not use medicated feed but switched over after I did a little more reading on it. I found it was right for my situation.

4. I never used to give chick grit until my chicks started getting constipated. Now I offer it mixed with soil from outside. The soil here is clay so mixing it in gives them more substance than just dirt. The soil also exposes them to any parasites that might be outside. That way they’re already exposed to it.

5. I always have poultry cell and nutridrench on hand. I found it super useful for any chick that might need a boost.
Thank you so much!!! The hot hands pads is a great suggestion!!!

Hi guys! I am picking up day old chicks on Saturday (18 of them!) so I have a few questions.

1. How do I regulate the temperature with a brooder plate? I don’t want to use lamps as they scare me (fire hazard).
I’ve only used lamps with the safety cage on - with a chain holding it, along with the clamp and also a chicken wire top of the brooder so If it fell, it would fall on the chicken wire and not into the cage
2. I have about a 2 hour drive with them. How can I prepare for them to stay warm enough on the drive? Should I provide food and water in the car? I don’t know what they do when mailing them.

they should be fine warmth wise. I’ve had the temp in my car turned up for the ride home and also had the box on a seat that had a seat heater. Otherwise, maybe use hand warmers if it’s really cold

3. I plan to do probiotics and electrolytes in the water for the first few days. Anything else I should plan to add? I’m still debating on medicated vs non medicated feed so your opinions on that would be appreciated also!
I’ve only done medicated feed. I’d not done the electrolytes or probiotics

4. I have chick grit but I’m assuming they shouldn’t have that right away? Or should they?
I think if they’re only getting chick food, they don’t need grit. Only when feeding more than the chick food do you need grit
5. anything else I should be prepared for and have on hand?
I think you’re set. Only thing I would say would be a back up heat source

good luck and take lots of pictures.

my first go around of babies from TSC went very poorly so I’m extremely nervous this time around to start with them so young! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom