Brooder box?

Bama4545

Chirping
Jun 4, 2020
East Central Alabama
My brooder is 3'x4', how long will I be able to keep 22 babies in there before I will need to move the to the coop 8x8. The chicken run is 18'x18' but figure I will want to keep them in the coop a while before they get to go in the yard. All advice is appreciated. Only planning on keeping 10 or 12 but I know it will be more like 15 or 16

rosemarythyme

Scarborough Fair
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
I'd say 2 weeks max, but they'll be going pretty crazy at the end of it. Can you run your heat source out to the coop and just brood them in there? It's a much better size and once they're about 2 weeks old you really don't have to worry about them getting lost even with that amount of space. They don't need the run portion yet.

Bama4545

Chirping
Jun 4, 2020
East Central Alabama
I'd say 2 weeks max, but they'll be going pretty crazy at the end of it. Can you run your heat source out to the coop and just brood them in there? It's a much better size and once they're about 2 weeks old you really don't have to worry about them getting lost even with that amount of space. They don't need the run portion yet.
Yeah that’s probably what I will do. It’s gonna be hot here by then so I hope I don’t have to worry with heat too long. I figure about 4 weeks.

RebelChief

Songster
6 Years
Mar 7, 2014
Brownsville, TX
In fact I probably won’t wait the full 2 weeks. Just till I feel like they are getting around good

Mine came in Nov so even though I'm in south Texas we get cool nights. When I moved them to the coop to I took the ceramic heat plate out and set it up out there. Just ran an outdoor extension cord to it. After a while they started moving away from it so I just took it out.

Top Bottom