Brooder Build Progress *PICS* Need Roof Ideas

mediazeal

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
PICS ADDED Page 2

I'm going to build a brooder/temporary coop, part brooder box, part chicken tractor. I can't take them living til 8 weeks in my living room and I dont' have power all the way out at the chicken coop so I need something to put the kids in at about 6 weeks that will keep them close and warm enough. I'm installing a porchlight on the INSIDE of the enclosed part that I can put a 40w red bulb in to keep the chill off.

I'm thinking of a 3 ft by 8ft brooder box, with 4 feet of it enclosed on 3 sides. Lifting lid (4 ft by 3ft) and the other 4 feet enclosed with hardware cloth. Both lids would be plywood so it could lock.
I'll add a removable piece of wood or plastic on the inside between the 'run' section and the 'coop' section if I'm having trouble keeping them warm enough, but I figure the chicken bodies and night light will be warm enough in my climate (48 degree low at night right now)
Pressure treated wood runners.

So right now I have a 3 by 8ft piece of plywood to use as the floor. Still looking for a piece of linoleum to put on it OR do you have suggestions? Should I go back and get some other kind of plywood something cut to the 3ft by 8ft size?

I'll use deep litter on top of it.
My coop has a concrete floor so I have no clue.

thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Plywood sounds good if you put linoleum on it I think yo have to make sure there is enough litter so they don't slip and get straddle legs- it sounds like what I need for when I get babies- will you please post pixs
fl.gif

I will post when I get it made.

Any one have any ideas what to use if I do not find any linoleum? The squares were too expensive at home depot. I just need a remnent.

What would be rot resistent but ok for the babies to use as a floor?

I use play sand on mine from about 3 weeks old. Dries up the poo so fast, and very easy to clean. I just rake it up, trying not to get much sand, and put it all in the compost. The sand will be great for my garden soil as well.

If you can't find a piece of linoleum, any kind of thick plastic that didn't smell would work fine, under deep litter. You could even paint the plywood with gloss paint and let it dry. Just something to keep moisture from seeping in.
See if you can get some kind of temp. gauge/ shut off so they don't get too hot in there. Or put a thermometer and keep a close eye on them. Could heat up pretty quick in a small place. Good luck--hard to have babies in winter!

what kind of wood/plywood can you use that won't rot but is not pressure treated so it is not dangerous for the babies?
I have two 2 by 4s that are pressure treated for under it to keep it off the ground
but I'm worried about moisture from under as well as from the chickies
would that glasswhatever kind of board be better?
or just replace the bottom as needed and use regular plywood?
what is everyone else using for the floor?

Frankly, 1/2-3/4" exterior grade plywood that you prime and paint with semigloss exterior paint will be FINE, as long as you keep a reasonable depth of bedding on it.

If you use vinyl flooring or anything else slippery, you need to keep the same 'reasonable depth' fo bedding on it *anyhow*, to avoid spraddle leg or injuries. To me, just priming and painting is simpler, and does not offer anywhere for water to get trapped and start rot.

I would suggest raising the whole thing up higher off the ground, e.g. on cinderblocks, so there is much better air circulation under there (= less rot risk to bottom of floor) and so that it does not give the mousies a place to hide
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Oh, if you want to put it directly on the ground, you can use concrete board! I did this with my first coop and it worked beautifully. I leveled out the area first, using a bit of sand, laid the board down, and set the coop on top of it. The weight of the coop kept it down--no problem with anything getting in underneath! Then just put a thick layer of bedding on top of it to make it easy on their feet.

ETA--this is the "tile backer" board that is usually sold in 3 by 5 sheets. I used the thicker (1/2"?) stuff.

Last edited:
these are really good ideas
I never knew about concrete board.
And painting it with sealer is a good idea if that will not hurt the chicks.

The idea of critters UNDER the coop if I put it on runners sort of freaked me out, so I'm thinking about taller legs now.
Going to start building on Wed, so I'll keep you posted.

Thank you for the ideas!

Back
Top Bottom