Brooder expansion pics and "what kind is that chick" questions?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Princess Lay-a, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Princess Lay-a

Princess Lay-a Chirping

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    Here is what we did since we got far more chicks than what we first expected![​IMG] Our play yards were opened all the way and we added more chicken wire for the roof. They are still in the garage for the next 3 to 4 weeks since MT gets chiller Spring times than most of the country.

[​IMG]

There is tons more room to run and chase. [​IMG] The feeders and water towards the back. We used an old VHS rack (who uses VHS nowadays?!) for a mini roost. The bigger birds love to get up there!

[​IMG]

Even though the thermostat says 90+ they seem to love being piled up with each other. [​IMG] You can see Desdemona (Polish) in the lower right corner, Quasimodo (Turken) in the center near the thermostat. I see chipmunk stripes, what kind again? Any others you can point out? I think the straight yellows are Leghorns?

[​IMG]

What kind is this? Boy or girl? These (I have about 6 I think and they are nearly all identical!) are very bossy! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yoga chick doing the Dead Man's Pose! Scared me the first time I saw about a dozen doing this all at once! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wegs813

Wegs813 Songster

May 5, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Oh my...look at all those beautiful babies. I am having serious chick envy!!

3. Princess Lay-a

Princess Lay-a Chirping

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    You won't envy me when they get bigger and I have scoop da poop duty! [​IMG] LOL!

4. felidaet

felidaet Songster

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    It is really hard to tell from the group photo what breeds you have. I would suggest asking the person/business you got them from what breeds they might might be. This would help us help you identify them. I have no idea what breed the black and white one with yellow head is. It is very interesting looking. I like it. I would be curious to know what it is too. I saw one like this at a feed store that I almost bought but the person working there said it was a bantam EE. I really liked it but I did not want a bantam. It did not look like a bantam to me but I was not going to disagree with the clerk.

Photos of individual birds makes it easier to identify them. Photos showing a side view and a little of the back are best.

5. Princess Lay-a

Princess Lay-a Chirping

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    I was told Orpingtons, Barred Rock, Jersey Giant, Leghorns and Auracanas, but some EEs for sure.
    The yellow with grey striped wings and "eye liner" are the pushy ones.[​IMG] Not sure which those may be.
    A RIR is in there, but not sure what % she is. [​IMG]
    There are some very black ones in there and some of those have mottled colored beaks too!
    I will try to get better up close pics of individuals and some of the ones we have already named too! [​IMG]
    Got to set up a chick photo studio![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by