Brooder Ideas for 16 Bantam Chicks?

Disintegration

Songster
Nov 5, 2020
Northwest Arkansas
I've gotten really attached to the idea of getting bantams this June, but I'm still unsure about brooder size. I think I'll be getting 15 or 16 straight run bantams, raising them until they can be put in the coop (so around 6 weeks) and then keeping around 8-10 and selling or giving away the extra.
I'm wanting a brooder that I can keep the chickens in for the entire 6 weeks, preferably something inexpensive because there's a big chance I probably won't use it again. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I'm wanting to keep the brooder in the garage. Not sure about having an outdoor brooder because we have a lot of predators around my house.

Side Question: I'm wanting to make the "Mama Heating Pad" heaters for the brooder because I already have a couple of heating pads at home and it would be much less expensive than other heaters. How many of these would I need for 16 bantams?

Also does anyone have any tips of getting rid of the extras? Is it a good idea to start out by asking for money for them?

3x2 is too tiny. Even bantams should have something like 1 sq ft per bird by 6 weeks.

Best bet (and free) would be to get an appliance box from an appliance shop or melon box from a grocery store. Around 16 sq ft would be good. And you can compost it or toss it when done. Cover it with hardware cloth or netting stapled onto a cardboard frame for support.

For the MHP, probably 2 would work? Depends on how big the heat pads are and how flat/curved you set them up.

It definetely needs to be christmas box sized. I am using a 110l storage container and it is starting to get very cramped for 7 bantams. They are only 3 weeks old.
You could use 3 of the biggest storage containers you can find.

But if I was in your shoes I would go to your nearest building supply store and get some foil covered insulation boards (don't get polystyrene as they will peck it to bits) so something like this https://www.just-insulation.com/sho...rds-general-purpose-application-specific.html

They should sell some that are roughly 47 by 17 inches. You want to get 4 of these. One for the floor, 2 for the sides and the last one you cut down to make the last 2 side bits. Cover the top with some cardboard. Sorted.

edit: ok I tried finding kingspan or other companies I know in the US but found zilch. Do you guys over in the US not use insulation boards or do you have a different brand?

Honestly all I could find was either rockwool or polystyrene! So if you cannot buy foam insulation boards then you will have to get polystyrene boards and cover the inside with carboard sheets.

Last edited:
3x2 is too tiny. Even bantams should have something like 1 sq ft per bird by 6 weeks.

Best bet (and free) would be to get an appliance box from an appliance shop or melon box from a grocery store. Around 16 sq ft would be good. And you can compost it or toss it when done. Cover it with hardware cloth or netting stapled onto a cardboard frame for support.

For the MHP, probably 2 would work? Depends on how big the heat pads are and how flat/curved you set them up.
I think I might go with a melon box if I can manage to find one. Thanks! :)

A puppy play pen works nicely. It has a zippered mesh top to keep them from flying out too.

50D67A96-0936-437E-8AB4-7D81203F2E73.jpeg

I've gotten really attached to the idea of getting bantams this June, but I'm still unsure about brooder size. I think I'll be getting 15 or 16 straight run bantams, raising them until they can be put in the coop (so around 6 weeks) and then keeping around 8-10 and selling or giving away the extra.
I'm wanting a brooder that I can keep the chickens in for the entire 6 weeks, preferably something inexpensive because there's a big chance I probably won't use it again. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I'm wanting to keep the brooder in the garage. Not sure about having an outdoor brooder because we have a lot of predators around my house.

Side Question: I'm wanting to make the "Mama Heating Pad" heaters for the brooder because I already have a couple of heating pads at home and it would be much less expensive than other heaters. How many of these would I need for 16 bantams?

Also does anyone have any tips of getting rid of the extras? Is it a good idea to start out by asking for money for them?
First weeks almost like tiny quail.

Back
Top Bottom