Brooder size for mama hen and chicks

Petsrme307

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2019
We have ordered a 10x20 shed for our new chicken coop. We currently have 20 jersey giant chickens that will live in the new coop. We want to incorporate a brooder area for a broody hen to sit on eggs and raise chicks. I can't seem to find out what a good size area for mama and chicks would be. We plan on attaching an outside run for the brooder too (small mesh, fully inclosed, located in the regular chicken run). I would assume mama and chicks would only be in there a couple weeks after hatching. Can someone help me? Thanks

We have ordered a 10x20 shed for our new chicken coop. We currently have 20 jersey giant chickens that will live in the new coop. We want to incorporate a brooder area for a broody hen to sit on eggs and raise chicks. I can't seem to find out what a good size area for mama and chicks would be. We plan on attaching an outside run for the brooder too (small mesh, fully inclosed, located in the regular chicken run). I would assume mama and chicks would only be in there a couple weeks after hatching. Can someone help me? Thanks
Hi.
I did that very same thing!
I converted an old shed into my coop and it has a built in brooder with attached secured covered run. It is about 40 sq feet total.
Click on the "My Coop" link under my avatar and that will direct you to the coop build article showing how I made it.

I would assume mama and chicks would only be in there a couple weeks after hatching.
I let them out with flock a week after hatch.
Minimum space for broody(her nest, feed, water, stretchin' and poopin' space)
would be about 2x4'....4x6' would be better.

Back
Top Bottom