Brooder Suggestion?

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
For my single/surprise chick, I didn't run out and grab the tub I usually use for brooding. The chick was so small that I simply grabbed a spare bird cage. (I've acquired a few since I kept deciding my birds needed larger cages and travel cages.)

So, my little chick has spent her days being able to run around and have a full view of everything through the bars. I keep the heat lamp on and regularly open the cage to allow the little one out. The cage door doubles as a ramp, and it's just worked perfectly.

The little one is super confident and sometimes runs out flapping and yelling PEEPEEP for me, until it finds me.

It's been good but the little one is growing fast and is getting to the point of being out more than in. This is no trouble since I have plenty of time to supervise, but..

-common sense says 'the baby needs more room, go get the big brooder!'

I tried. Honest to goodness, I brought the brooder in, filled it with bedding, food, water, a cuddle toy, clamped the heat lamp and placed the baby inside-

Usually things are fine from here on out. But this baby just chirped and shrieked and peeped and made a terrible fuss.

I quickly guessed that those big SOLID sides must be scary to a baby that's used to being able to see, and I essentially put her in a strange [mostly] empty box.

I waited to see if she'd calm down. I held her and talked to her, but nothing helped. She sleeps and eats/drinks in the cage and is out to run around and play, but I need to upgrade her living arrangement.

Any suggestions for a brooder that will not obstruct the chick's view and make her scared? I thought about finding or making a custom base and using some kind of wire (maybe hardware cloth?) for the sides. Would that work?

What about a rabbit pen? Could that work?

I just need an inexpensive brooder that won't terrify my chick.

You and your chick seem to be managing very well. This link to an article I wrote on brooding is merely to let you see pictures of the brooders I've had over the years. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/

Early on, I realized that chicks did far better when they could view the big world going on around them, and you have certainly validated my observations. You can do fun things with cardboard appliance boxes. I would cut huge floor to top windows in the boxes and tape clear plastic or window screening over them.

My favorite indoor brooder, however, was my garage plant grow window. That's when I really saw how much chicks benefit by growing up with the world going on in full view around them. Nothing scared those chicks.

Now I brood outdoors in my run, and that's been the best brooder of all, but your arrangement with your single chick seems to be a very fine one. Show us the brooder you finally come up with. I'll enjoy seeing it!

You and your chick seem to be managing very well. This link to an article I wrote on brooding is merely to let you see pictures of the brooders I've had over the years. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/

Early on, I realized that chicks did far better when they could view the big world going on around them, and you have certainly validated my observations. You can do fun things with cardboard appliance boxes. I would cut huge floor to top windows in the boxes and tape clear plastic or window screening over them.

My favorite indoor brooder, however, was my garage plant grow window. That's when I really saw how much chicks benefit by growing up with the world going on in full view around them. Nothing scared those chicks.

Now I brood outdoors in my run, and that's been the best brooder of all, but your arrangement with your single chick seems to be a very fine one. Show us the brooder you finally come up with. I'll enjoy seeing it!
Thank you! I enjoyed reading your article- it is very insightful and makes a lot of sense. I'll have to do some thinking and look into what supplies I have on hand, but I'll figure out something!

If it aint broke, don't fix it, haha!
maybe you can get her a chick diaper so she can have more freedom around the house...
LOL Don't get me started! The thought crossed my mind! Then again, she poops almost solely in the cage even when the cage is left open for x-amount of time. I just figured she could use a little more room while she's in.

And thank you for the support! I was honestly concerned someone would leave a distasteful comment about a chick in a bird cage. But it's not a small cage, and it is only one small chick. This has have been a great solution. Cleaning the cage is easy, the chick understands ramps, she will be getting a low-set perch soon. It's worked out so well...

But(!) I'm off to the drawing board to get something bigger!

You can try a puppy crate when she gets a bit bigger too... it’s kind of like a birdcage, and probably what she’s more used to. I’ve raised a single chick before, and they’re so lonely, without peers, they’re happy as long as they know you’re around for company... so I think that’s the most important.

I really can’t judge on the size thing, I have eight 7 week olds I’m keeping in a 2x3 brooder at night still (still building the chicken coop 🙈 but it’s almost done!). They don’t seem discontent as long as I let them out in the outside pen at daybreak... so far

I love indoor rabbit/guinea pig cages for brooders. They have the solid tray to keep in the mess and bedding and the wire sides so the chicks have a full view of the world. The doors open to make a ramp as well.

I found this picture online- thought I could do something similar for temp chick housing, if the bin is large enough.
cache2.jpeg

For one little chick, I think it would work. (Haybale is bigger than she looks. Her legs are almost finger-thick and her feet are large!)
She would not be in there long. I have her out a lot and she will be meeting the flock when she gets a bit older. (currently 13 days old!)
20200807_123353.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom