BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

My chicks are upper crust. They only drink bottled water
wink.png

Seriously I want to use nipples in the coop and am starting them off in the brooder. To get them trained step one was to establish a location for the water. Next is to remove the water and let them get thirsty. Third step is to supply the bottle and flick the nipple until it is wet. They then come running and find the water. Three of four know how now. I then replaced the water because they were thirsty and I didn't want them dehydrated.

These nipples are the go anywhere nipples from Hatchers n catchers on eBay that are designed for open systems like buckets. My first attempt at placing one in a bottle failed. It was crooked and kept on going dry. The second attempt worked well. 8.5 mm hole and a 9mm tap resulted in a tight seal even in the thin bottle.

Cheers paul
Brilliant using that top for vacuum release!
Have you seen the horizontal nipples?
No tap needed and much less dripping.

Here is the one I just built, I keep them in my garage and put up another board on one side at night to keep the temp up. Im new to this site and to the whole chicken raising so any advice I could get on maybe some improvements to my current setup would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes I have seen the horizontal nipples up here however they are not available in Australia where I am. I could have bought them overseas but wanted them sooner.

The Hatchers n catchers website has a coke bottle with a nipple in it. These bottles are good because of the top as you say. It is good at letting the air in. Also I can use a belt hook which makes it easy to hang in the brooder.

Cheers paul

Sweet Setup!!

All those extension cords are scary tho.

How do you adjust the heat?
You heat both ends of brooders?

It looks like a lot of cords but only one 12awg extension cord to a heavy duty power strip. The mess of cords are the lights.

I'm trying to get the heat up today. They're only getting to about 70°f.
The light trays adjust up and down and I have removable shields to let heat out of the top if need be.

The front of the brooder should be a good bit cooler than the back.

Last edited:
My guinea pig cage brooder that i use for indoor brooding for the first week or two depending how many have hatched. They then move out into the garage with lamp untill they are off heat. Have a new shed to put up which I'm turning into a dedicated brooder shed. Can't wait to get it set up!

This time of year I wait a little longer to move the chicks out to the big coop, so I saw a need for a brooder with roosting space. I converted an old beat-up dresser into a brooder. I used window screen to reduce the amount of dust they were creating, and the bottom drawer pulls out for easy cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom