BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Laundry basin with a piece of metal shelving. This is my second run with chicks and last time I used a clear plastic tub. I like the laundry basin much better as far as cleaning and the space it provides them, but I wish they could see out the way they could with the clear plastic.

Last edited:
Here is mine before my babies got here (without the brown paper I put around it):

chickenpen.jpg

I really like this one,, sometimes a tub type one can hold in to much heat... <3

I kept my chicks in our spare bathtub. There's some newspapers spread in the tub with some pine shavings sprinkled on top. The heat lamp hangs from a tension rod for the shower curtain; it's great for height/heat adjustments. After a few weeks I propped a baby gate up in front of the tub to keep the chicks in. When they started roosting on top of the baby gate it was time to move to the real coop outside :)

Here is the brooder we just finished tonight. (Our chicks are due for delivery on the 1st)
jumpy.gif
The brooder is 36 x 24 and 24 high. The front is a piece of glass 36 x24 bought pre cut from Lowe's and is inserted into 2x4's. (which can be slid in and out) The sides are OSB plywood (primed and painted). The top is chicken wire between two layers of wood for support and safety. 2 rope handles were added for easy moving. We have placed this in our basement on an old salvaged table which was the perfect height to see the chicks easily. We chose to have glass as the front as several members here said the chicks can see you easier without them thinking you were a predator only coming in and being seen from above. (supposed to make them less skittish). Nothing hard about this and can be made in an evening at little expense (we had everything left from the coop build except the glass). No legs so we could easily change heights should it be necessary. Lid raises up and has chain holding it open for cleaning.
The light is hanging from one of the basement rafters and can be raised or lowered by the chandelier chain we attached it to.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom