Ended Broodies & Babies Video Contest

Didn’t see anything against it in rules but may I ask (if I manage to dig it up!) if I could submit an older video from about 6 or so years ago? I took some on phone of our broody hen that hatched ducks and also her brood of chicks too.

Entry 3:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/broody-hen-and-her-turkey-poult-baby.7944076/

I find this video so sweet and the story behind it even sweeter... We never thought that old, grouchy black Australorp hen would ever go broody, but it wasn’t until she almost died due to a reoccurring reproductive issue, that she ended up overcoming, that she decided she would brood. We had nothing to give her, though. I was not able to hatch anymore chicks at the time, we didn’t have our own rooster or enough space, so we hadn’t planned on giving her anything. We had 7 turkey eggs in our incubator inside (only one developed), and the one egg was doing good, but, then, our power went out! The little egg was hardly moving and was freezing cold by the time I was able to move it. It seemed impossible. We only had one solution, and that was to give it to a broody hen, that broody hen, to be exact. The little turkey egg had already been about 18-20 days along, and that hen had been sitting for awhile, so we decided to try it. Finally, her sweet little baby turkey hatched, and our hen was (for what seemed like the first time) so happy. They saved each other, and it was meant to be, really.

Back
Top Bottom