Broodiness!

Pure Poultry

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
How old are hens when they first go broody? The breeds I am interesting for answers are Pekin Bantams, Plymouth Rocks and Light Sussexs?

I'm sorry if this seems like a silly question about your question, but it is late here and I'm kinda tired. When you say 'first go broody', are you asking when they'll start laying eggs, or are you asking when they'll start to lay on their eggs in order to make baby chicks?

I'd better go to bed real soon...I must have dozed off for a split second or two because when I jolted awake in my chair I looked down at my hand on the keyboard and then up to the laptop screen where I had been typing (or so I thought) and the entire 'Replying to ...' page was just line after line of the
letter 'd'...lol !!! So I'll make this quick...pullets will usually start to lay at about 6 months, but they usually won't go 'broody' until the next season after their first lay. That's usually the case but just like everything else having to do with chickens, there are a multitude of exceptions to that rule. Generally speaking, the lighter, smaller, bantam breeds will start just slightly earlier than the 'norm' and the larger, heavier breeds will be at the tail end of the 'normal' spectrum.
I sure hope that helped!

Back
Top Bottom