Brooding in Coop Questions

BonnieBlue

Songster
Apr 20, 2022
I do not think that what I am using as a brooder will be big enough for chicks past 2 weeks old. I want to transition to brooding in the coop (new facility, no chickens as these are the first ones for this coop and run), from the garage, where they are now.

Other than being cognizant of the temperatures (which are in the mid 90's now, in SE Louisiana) what do I need to plan for, or do to my coop, to protect my baby girls? The coop is approx 4'x3.5 ft, with attached run.

Okay. So, in this case 1/2" hardware cloth is your new best friend. It can be pricey, I know, but so is replacing chickens, so I figure it is worth it. I'm not sure what snakes are able to fit through, maybe some of our fellow southerners can speak to that, but you basically want no hole or gap to be bigger than a quarter. It might be even smaller depending on the snakes where you live.

You will also want what is called an apron around your run. It is essentially 18" of 1/2" hardware cloth on the ground around your run. We stapled the hardware cloth to the wooden base of our run with brads and then secured it to the ground (with rocks and dirt, but most folks use landscape stakes). This prevents digging predators. Our birds don't stay in here 24/7 for us, but when we need them to be safe, like at night or when there is something prowling around and we won't be home, we have that space to use.

If there is just chicken wire on the run, you will want to secure the hardware cloth on there, too. The name is misleading, but the smallest of the weasels and the hands of raccoons can get through chicken wire. We only use chicken wire to barricade our chickens from one another inside the coop and run that is protected by hardware cloth.

You can also use cement to secure the bottom of your run.

Your vents should also be covered with 1/2 hardware cloth as well. I have seen raccoons that will rip the hardware cloths out of the vents, so you want to be sure that stuff is super secure there.

If you post pictures of your setup we can give exact advise and troubleshoot any weaknesses. Let me know if you can think of anything else.

That is all quite helpful!

The run wire is part 1/2, and part 3/4 inch. The 3/4 inch is on panels that were the run that came with the coop, but it was too small (imo) in the configuration it cam in, so I repurposed them for the parts of my run. The coop wire is 1/2, but I am concerned about the gaps under the ridges of the roofing material, as those are a bit over 1x1 inches on the raised ridges of the roof panels. I am thinking about stuffing stainless steel dish scrunchies (like I used between the roof and the wire, as shown in one of the pics). Would I need to make those permanent? I was thinking those were for ventilation, but as you can see, there is a back ventilation window, and the front window, which have the1/2 inch wire.

The floor of the run is a layer of 1/2 wire (completely covering the floor), some clay, and then the floor is completely covered with pavers. I will be using sand (which I still have to spread out), and that will be approx 4 inches in depth. I was going to just use sand over the clay, but I was having drainage problems, so I added the pavers to raise the floor above the runoff problem I was having, and to keep the run floor fairly dry. Two walls of the run are solid wood which makes those two walls tight against predators.

Edit to add: the black fence panels are the 3/4 inch, the silver is 1/2 inch.
COOP RUN BACK SIDE.jpg
COOP RUN FRONT FENCE.jpg
COOP RUN FULL.jpg
COOP RUN ROOF RIDGE.jpg
COOP RUN WEAK SPOT.jpg

Last edited:
That coop looks amazing. Nice work.

I think that gap is the only thing left to address. The scouring pads could probably be pulled out, but would a snake or weasel do that? Not sure, but ideally you could just fasten something on the other side? Just so you sleep better at night.

You should totally do a coop page, that thing is worth showing off.

Back
Top Bottom