Brooding In Plasitc Sterilite Tubs

Accidents happen. It is just important we learn from them.
I use Teflon coated bulbs for all my chicks and they come out just fine.
View attachment 3011325
I use ceramic. They are more durable than glass bulbs and allow for a more natural light/dark cycle daily.
I also use Premier1 heat plates. They are my favorite and well worth the cost if one is going to brood multiple clutches.

Last edited:
When new shipped babies arrive its important to have a space that will work for all of them. They use each others bodies heat and heath and drive for water and food to hopefully recover from the trip. Your brooder should be set up to temperature the day they ship before they even get there. If there going to be outside in a brooder or inside they need different things. I keep all my babies inside in a spare bedroom so I can use brooder plates if outside you need to give them multi temperature areas to they can regulate what they need. Sorry just my opinion I raise waterfowl haven't done a land bird yet. I use folding swimming pools with extension walls, washable puppy pads and plate heaters but its always at least 65 in my home. I move them to a heated stall in my barn about 3 weeks at which time they get a heated bulb. When my geese raise there own they get nothing but there parents and do just fine. Good luck with the new babies.
Good info but most waterfowl are more precocial than chickens, which are more precocial than turkeys.
Ducklings don't need as much heat as the others.

I’m actually using a Rubbermaid bin for a small hatch next month. I am cutting a big square in the side and covering it with garden netting taped on, 1. So I can see them through the side (it will be on a table), and 2. It will help with air circulation in the smaller space. Using the bin for a week until they are sold.

Good info but most waterfowl are more precocial than chickens, which are more precocial than turkeys.
Ducklings don't need as much heat as the others.
I guess that means more diligent in giving them the right environment the day they arrive. Thank you.....

Cera
Accidents happen. It is just important we learn from them.

I use ceramic. They are more durable than glass bulbs and allow for a more natural light/dark cycle daily.
Ceramic for the win. That's definitely my preferred heating method. Pop it on a dimmer or thermostat and you're just set.

I have tried to brood a total of 60 chicks (20 at a time) in plastic sterilile tubs, you know... the ones you get at wal mart. All three broods died completeley. I am trying to find out if the plastic is bad for the chicks. On the other hand I have a really crappy Post office that lets the chicks stay overnite before they call me to come pick them up. This was on all three broods. Is it the plastic or is it the fact that the chicks were in the shipping box without food & water for 96 hours (4 days)
Hi i used the plastic totes as well. I had allot of losses. I changed a couple of things so im not sure if it was the plastic or not. I switched to glass reptile cages its better.I also switched from using a brooder to different heat source at the same time. They are sensitive to toxins and heated plastic sure could let off toxic fumes?

Back
Top Bottom