Brooding In Plasitc Sterilite Tubs

I have tried to brood a total of 60 chicks (20 at a time) in plastic sterilile tubs, you know... the ones you get at wal mart. All three broods died completeley. I am trying to find out if the plastic is bad for the chicks. On the other hand I have a really crappy Post office that lets the chicks stay overnite before they call me to come pick them up. This was on all three broods. Is it the plastic or is it the fact that the chicks were in the shipping box without food & water for 96 hours (4 days)
I would say it's the amount of time spent in the cold. 4 days is too long.
I use the same method with a propane heater on one side and water bottles and or bags if needed.
Since Dec, We lost about 40 Chicks in 5 orders due to it being too cold and sitting in a post office. 3 days was the longest but most were lost on 2 day ships.
The sad situation of trying to save these Chicks is mentally draining. And You'll almost always lose Hens.
I have at least 40+ Rooster's out of 60 after all said and done.
The containers work well. But make sure there not over heating.
We have raised 137 since August last year. Right now I have 5 Clear Containers in the living room with 58 Bantams and 7 Standards. All have perches inside after 2 weeks. Hope this gives some Encouragement.

I would say it's the amount of time spent in the cold. 4 days is too long.
I use the same method with a propane heater on one side and water bottles and or bags if needed.
Since Dec, We lost about 40 Chicks in 5 orders due to it being too cold and sitting in a post office. 3 days was the longest but most were lost on 2 day ships.
The sad situation of trying to save these Chicks is mentally draining. And You'll almost always lose Hens.
I have at least 40+ Rooster's out of 60 after all said and done.
The containers work well. But make sure there not over heating.
We have raised 137 since August last year. Right now I have 5 Clear Containers in the living room with 58 Bantams and 7 Standards. All have perches inside after 2 weeks. Hope this gives some Encouragement.
Note buy the thicker clear container's and try not to over heat the container.
The thin ones will probably give off toxins if heated up.

Morning clean up.

Attachments

• 16464902732724543291187958718206.jpg
    16464902732724543291187958718206.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 8
I just picked up 4 chicks from TSC, I placed them in a 30 gallon clean fishtank.. and keep them in a bedroom that's around 80 degrees. I also used a small heating pad under a wee wee pad for added protection. They are able to move away from the heat when need be. Also the food and water are on the cool end of the tank. I plan on using this for a few weeks untill the can go into their JR coop...😉 It was a quick brooder as I wasn't planning on bringing home chicks that day..went for dog food🙄
Anyway, ended up with 4 pullets. 2 Barred Rock & 2 Buff Brahmas I do believe it was a heating issue...I wish you better luck on your next bunch!

@Jaime918 , my set-up looks just like yours! I love using the bed pads. I get bigger ones from Amazon so I can just dump the whole thing easily, every day. I use them plain for the first few days, then add pine shavings.

I've successfully raised up to 4 chicks in that. Frankly, I wouldn't put more than that. They grow fast! I always keep the heat plate tilted so they can choose how much heat they want, too.

I don't think it's your post offices fault, considering that you've lost all 60. If it was, you would not lose that many. I think it's your set up or something in your home. The heater could be releasing fumes or they are just over heating.
I raised my chicks in a big cardboard box with chicken wire top in the bathroom. Temperatures with the 12 vanity lights stayed about 80 degrees. Even took them for a ten day fishing trip because I was afraid to leave them home. They adjusted to curious dogs and cats and 2 5 hour car trips. Got them in local feed store in September.

@Jaime918 , my set-up looks just like yours! I love using the bed pads. I get bigger ones from Amazon so I can just dump the whole thing easily, every day. I use them plain for the first few days, then add pine shavings.

I've successfully raised up to 4 chicks in that. Frankly, I wouldn't put more than that. They grow fast! I always keep the heat plate tilted so they can choose how much heat they want, too.
I love the ease of cleaning but I have to change my whole setup today. Their pads lay on pea gravel and they have taken to removing the bedding between their waterer and feeder, digging a hole in the pad and making a mixture to eat in the gravel. They are smart little handfuls! :lau They definitely keep me entertained.

A lot of good advice here, I would add that next time you should make sure to put apple cider vinegar in their water, the kind with the mother in it. I believe the ratio is 1/2 tsp. per 2 cups. We also put a little beet juice that we make from boiling beets in their water sometimes, something we learned from raising budgies. We have had a few chicks start drooping after shipping and the only time we’ve lost them was when we forgot the vinegar. It perks them up pretty quickly.

It is unusual to lose everything if they all arrived alive.
I'm not too fond of the plastic Tupperware style brooders. They aren't really big enough for more than a few days for 20 chicks. The space can't grow as the chicks grow and I suspect, it was too hot. They only need one small hot spot like with a broody hen and the rest of the space should be cool.
In warm weather I brood the chicks in the coop. In cold weather, I use large cardboard moving boxes from Lowes or HD. They only cost about a dollar or so and you can double or triple them as the chicks get bigger.
If your brooder is in the house, room temperature, you don't really need any elaborate heating system. Depending on the size of the tub, I would say a 75 or 100 watt ceramic heat emitter in a brooder lamp fixture would be plenty. 20 chicks can huddle and keep themselves warm for the most part.
While it won't kill them, 16% chick starter is a bit low. I wouldn't go with less than 18% for baby chicks and I like to start off with about 20% for the first couple weeks. The younger a bird is, the higher protein they need to build their body and immune system.
The amino acid profile of the protein is important as well, but any manufacturer would take that into consideration in their formula.
I would try using one of these. We used a chick heater inside. These brooders are made with a slit for running the heater cord. No chance of fire. The material is chickproof, breathable and easily washed. Plastic is the cheapest go to bit plastic holds cold.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-03-08_101308.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-03-08_101308.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 6
I would try using one of these. We used a chick heater inside. These brooders are made with a slit for running the heater cord. No chance of fire. The material is chickproof, breathable and easily washed. Plastic is the cheapest go to bit plastic holds cold.
I love this! I found one that has a detachable bottom! So I can use it inside or out…might purchase it just to have since we will be regularly raising chicks.

Back
Top Bottom