Brooding In Plasitc Sterilite Tubs

Me again! Here is a link to an article on teflon, footnotes included. Dupont responds about actual Teflon *brand* pans but the article mentions other sources, I think there are many more, possibly in central heat, stove tops, ovens. What I did not see mentioned is that over time and wear Teflon breaks down and is scratched and releases even more fumes. I have chicks hatching as we speak in the house and your issue has got me worrying and watching, daring anyone to cook! I think I see teflon even on my coffee maker warmer 😱 also wonder how eggs might be affected. So far mine are hatching despite the numerous bad reviews of the unit!

https://www.ewg.org/research/canaries-kitchen

Me again! Here is a link to an article on teflon, footnotes included. Dupont responds about actual Teflon *brand* pans but the article mentions other sources, I think there are many more, possibly in central heat, stove tops, ovens. What I did not see mentioned is that over time and wear Teflon breaks down and is scratched and releases even more fumes. I have chicks hatching as we speak in the house and your issue has got me worrying and watching, daring anyone to cook! I think I see teflon even on my coffee maker warmer 😱 also wonder how eggs might be affected. So far mine are hatching despite the numerous bad reviews of the unit!

https://www.ewg.org/research/canaries-kitchen
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/polytetrafluoroethylene-toxicity-in-chickens.73482/

I definitely would not use a Teflon bulb for brooding.
But I wouldn't worry too awful much about cooking and hair dryers and all that other stuff unless you are just burning the heck out of your pans.

Also I agree with everyone else here that said they think 95 is way too warm beyond the first day of hatching. Especially in a plastic tub.
I brood calls in plastic tubs without issue. But I drop my heat down to about 80 in the warmest spot after the first day.
And I did purchase them in advance and set them outside for a few days to let them air out before I first used them.

Thanks!
Interesting, but definitely not appropriate for heating chicks, especially in a plastic tub.
When new shipped babies arrive its important to have a space that will work for all of them. They use each others bodies heat and heath and drive for water and food to hopefully recover from the trip. Your brooder should be set up to temperature the day they ship before they even get there. If there going to be outside in a brooder or inside they need different things. I keep all my babies inside in a spare bedroom so I can use brooder plates if outside you need to give them multi temperature areas to they can regulate what they need. Sorry just my opinion I raise waterfowl haven't done a land bird yet. I use folding swimming pools with extension walls, washable puppy pads and plate heaters but its always at least 65 in my home. I move them to a heated stall in my barn about 3 weeks at which time they get a heated bulb. When my geese raise there own they get nothing but there parents and do just fine. Good luck with the new babies.

I use Teflon coated bulbs for all my chicks and they come out just fine.
8BDE1351-75C9-430A-B24D-099BEB039E28.png

Back
Top Bottom