Brooding In Plasitc Sterilite Tubs

Pics
I have tried to brood a total of 60 chicks (20 at a time) in plastic sterilile tubs, you know... the ones you get at wal mart. All three broods died completeley. I am trying to find out if the plastic is bad for the chicks. On the other hand I have a really crappy Post office that lets the chicks stay overnite before they call me to come pick them up. This was on all three broods. Is it the plastic or is it the fact that the chicks were in the shipping box without food & water for 96 hours (4 days)
Did you have the led closed? The only time I've seen dead birds in a tote is when the led was closed. It's because of lack of oxygen. In fact, the led should never be closed. :)

If you didn't have the led closed, then I'll assume that it was something else. Dehydration, too cold, etc.

Did you have the led closed? The only time I've seen dead birds in a tote is when the led was closed. It's because of lack of oxygen. In fact, the led should never be closed. :)

If you didn't have the led closed, then I'll assume that it was something else. Dehydration, too cold, etc.
Ideally, don't use a lid at all and replace with mesh or netting - they need proper air circulation.

I have tried to brood a total of 60 chicks (20 at a time) in plastic sterilile tubs, you know... the ones you get at wal mart. All three broods died completeley. I am trying to find out if the plastic is bad for the chicks. On the other hand I have a really crappy Post office that lets the chicks stay overnite before they call me to come pick them up. This was on all three broods. Is it the plastic or is it the fact that the chicks were in the shipping box without food & water for 96 hours (4 days)
Our experience with the plastic tubs is that they "off gas" some type of volatile chemical that is toxic to the lungs of baby chicks. We went back to cardboard boxes if couldn't provide wire ventilated cages.

Our experience with plastic is that it "off gasses" toxic fumes to baby chick lungs and maybe more so with heat source and raised temps. Use a wire cage or cardboard.

Back
Top Bottom