Brooding in the house

DeansMill

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 10, 2014
Near Albany, NY
I want to get chicks, but am fearful of them getting cold at night. It is fall and has been unusually chilly. I want to keep them inside, but have been told that that is dangerous since I have an 8 month old baby. What do you think? 2 story old old farmhouse, 2 cats. drafty drafty...

I always brood my chicks in the walk out room of our basement. It never bothered the kids in any way. Here in Ohio though, I wouldn't get chicks this time of year. I buy my chicks in the spring, because then by the time I'm ready to put them outside, they're fully feathered and the weather is warming up.

Trust me, you will be so tired of having them in the house by the time you're ready to put them outside! The bigger they get, the more poo you have and with brooding them in the house, you've gotta really keep their brooder clean or it will stink up the place.

Assuming the concern is one of contamination (ie salmonella), if you have good basic hygiene practices there is no "danger" to the baby

OK, I guess I will wait till March? That will give me time to finalize the run too. I think the concern someone expressed was some airborne disease? IDK, honestly. I would never let the baby touch them, go near them and would wash my hands thoroughly too. They would have to be confined anyway, because of the two vicious hunters prowling the house at night on mouse watch. There is separate room they can go in. Thanks!

The main concern for your baby would probably be respiratory issues from all of the dust and dander they put out. They are INCREDIBLY dusty little critters. For what its worth, I hatch and brood chicks all year round, and I don't brood any of them inside my house. When they're ready to come out of my incubator, I carry them outside to a big, wooden hutch that I use as a brooder. When its winter, they're under one of those 250W red bulbs. They do great, and I've measured the temps outside of the heat lamp in the low teens before. They pop out from under the heat to eat and drink, and go back when they need to warm up. No problems. Could you brood yours outside?
Of course, there's no harm in waiting either ;) Good luck!

Last edited:
I have two toddlers. I am currently keeping the brooder in the house, I just keep it in the office with the door closed, that way the kids aren't exposed to any dust. Do you have a separate room, bathroom, basement etc?

The house is from the mid to late 1700's and so the basement is a dug stone/ dirt and stone floor... there is actually a door leading to a trap door in the porch and so the basement can get drafty instead of maintaining a nice temp in winter. It is also slightly damp... so, it's out. There is a room added on to the side where we keep our civil war stuff... that would really be the only place that could be closed off, but there are linens and wool in there... would they be damaged? I think that if I wait till March... (is that a good time or how about February?) Then they could feasibly go in the coop with a big lamp hanging above them. I guess part of my worry is how tiny they will be out there all alone. Would a grown rooster kill chicks or would he protect them without any hens? I think reading to learn is great, but I prefer doing to learn.

I would say no to civil war room....

I kept my brooder in my walk in closet in the bathroom for 1 week once and everything was covered in a fine dust from the pine.

Unless you want to dust everything multiple times a week I wouldn't do it hahaha

The house is from the mid to late 1700's and so the basement is a dug stone/ dirt and stone floor... there is actually a door leading to a trap door in the porch and so the basement can get drafty instead of maintaining a nice temp in winter. It is also slightly damp... so, it's out. There is a room added on to the side where we keep our civil war stuff... that would really be the only place that could be closed off, but there are linens and wool in there... would they be damaged? I think that if I wait till March... (is that a good time or how about February?) Then they could feasibly go in the coop with a big lamp hanging above them. I guess part of my worry is how tiny they will be out there all alone. Would a grown rooster kill chicks or would he protect them without any hens? I think reading to learn is great, but I prefer doing to learn.

I just got 25 chicks yesterday, and I have them set up in a brooder in my laundry room. I keep the window open during the day for ventilation, and haven't had any issues with dustiness. They'll be moving out to the brooder in the coop when they outgrow the one in the laundry room. So long as you practice good hygiene I don't see an issue or risks with baby. Good luck!

well, we will try in the spring... thank you all... I will keep working on the coop and maybe by then I will feel better about them out there.

Back
Top Bottom