Broody advice and breed opinions

lv9777

Songster
Aug 29, 2021
Michigan
I have a one year old Cochin that is determined to be a mother. Since I could use another hen or two I am thinking of letting her raise a few chicks. However, I am concerned as she is so young and I do not know what kind of mother she will be. She is currently diligent about sitting on the nest, but has only been sitting about 4 days. Since I have already re-homed 4 rooster the last time I let a broody hatch, I would like to try and slip pullet chicks under her. I only want 2-3 chicks and would love opinions on breed. I need cold hardy, docile breeds that lay well and that can be sexed. Since, I only want a few I need a breeder in Michigan or a tractor supply chick. I would like a blue egg layer, but hardy and good personality are more important. I currently have two Cochins and one bossy barred rock.
Also, If I can't get day old chicks how old can they be before she won't accept them? She is the lowest bird in the order which is also a bit of a concern. Would love opinions on breeds.

I could not resist putting pics of my girls below :)

Attachments

• cochin girls.JPG
    cochin girls.JPG
    921.5 KB · Views: 6
  • marble.JPG
    marble.JPG
    768.3 KB · Views: 1
You would need her to sit, faithfully, on duds, for at least 2.5 weeks (sometimes 2 weeks works). Try to aim close to the 3 week mark, her natural hatch date. My Cochin have been very faithful and diligent mothers. 1 year of age is NOT too young. She is fully mature.

I personally have had trouble grafting chicks to a broody hen. The hens were always stellar, but the artificially hatched chicks tended to be a bit dumb and constantly wandering away from the hen. Make sure they are penned in with food/water for the first week to get them attached.

I would get 1 to 3 day old chicks. The older the chick, the less likely it will bond to the mother.

As to breeds...oh my word. There has been an explosion of commercially manipulated hybrids and designer birds in the last few years. It's hard to just focus on one.

If you want sexing, then you will have to go with a sex link type bird so that you KNOW by the color of chick down what you are getting. For that the red or black sex links are hard to beat. I had better longevity with my black sex links than red.

For sexed blue layer, you want a Cream Legbar. That is an autosexing breed (so will breed true if you breed to CL together). They tend to be a bit flighty, but overall mine have integrated into the flock well.

Unfortunately those choices are single combs, which can frostbite if you are in really frigid area. However, I know a lot of northern folks do well with them.

My 2 cents
LofMc

Hello, fellow Michigander.

I'm currently hatching chicks, some for a friend, & a test hatch to see who the father was.

Got many broodies, this year is crazy with broody hens. They're sharing 1 egg that's due to hatch in 4 day's. Originally there was 14, but someone was clumsy.

I haven't attempted adoption by broody hen yet, but may if this year works out.

I have various breeds, & mixes.

:welcome

Follow this link and chat with your neighbors. Explain what you want and see if anyone can help. Maybe someone close is hatching sex links.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ll-are-welcome.697050/page-5348#post-25763474

I've had great success giving newly hatched chicks to a broody hen. Putting the chicks in her nest in the dark works well for me, but these are one or two days old. I don't try when they are older.

Back
Top Bottom