broody banty

gardengirl01

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 5, 2013
So i put fertile eggs under my broody banty and 1 hatched out. The baby chick died at about 2 days old. Not sure why as it was active, loud and i showed it where the food and water was. Since the banty (she is young and just started laying) declined to set on the other fertilized eggs, i put her outside with the rest of the chickens. She stands there listless and almost topples over. The fertilized eggs were not hers but i know that her baby died regardless. I'm concerned that she will not survive this. Since the bigger chickens were picking on her, i put her into a kennel with food and water. Is this normal? I realized this afternoon when i found the dead chick that she was probably dead since last night and the hen was still standing in the same place. Maybe some sugar water for a day or two? What can i do? I'm considering giving her another fertilized egg, but unsure. I may have to give her water from an eyedropper as she is so listless and no fighting spirit. Thanks.

Check and make sure that she is not infested with mites - it happens sometimes to hens that are setting. It sounds as if something has caused her to become debilitated - whatever it is may have caused the chick to die.

Back
Top Bottom