Broody breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bigz1983, Sep 5, 2019.

1. MROO

MROO Crossing the Road

Have you thought about Jersey Giants? They were originally developed as a dual purpose breed, with the intention of replacing the turkey. They take a little longer to reach full weight ... but that final weight can be pretty impressive. I've only got one at the moment (she's a Kindergarten dropout!) but so far, she's just about the sweetest pullet I've met, and I'm told they'll go broody, given the chance and some encouragement (a quiet nest box with a fake egg or two.) I'm seriously considering acquiring a roo next summer. They're a US developed breed, and endangered to boot and I think it would be fun to add them to my Nankins. Side-by-side runs with really BIG black chickens and really tiny red ones ... that ought to make for an interesting set-up!

2. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    A6BA0348-5B1E-47CC-9421-18B1F14FCA28.jpeg
    Marans, my Black Copper Marans, so broody! I finally broke down and gave her 2 chicks that I picked up one morning on my way home from the beach and gave them to her before she killed her self! I could not break her of it, all my others quit after a week or two. My Orpingtons haven’t been broody at all:)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    bigz1983 and MROO like this.
  3. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    Mine never has either:)

4. Criticalicious

Criticalicious Crowing

Feb 25, 2017
    New Market, VA
    Try getting your next birds from a breeder or someone whose chickens go broody reliably, rather than a hatchery. You may get better results.

5. MROO

MROO Crossing the Road

@ConnieA - This is a bit off-topic (sorry OP!) but you wouldn't happen to still have RC Nankins, would you? I'm looking to tighten up the combs on mine and could use a new pair - or possibly even a single cockerel - to stir the genetics up a bit. If you do, could you please pm me?

6. pepe1

pepe1 Songster

Jun 24, 2013
    I had 2 Black Austrolops go broody this year and hatch 17 chicks from 20 eggs.

bigz1983, MROO and SurferchickinSB like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: