Oreolover13

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2021
Does anyone have advice on getting my button broody like lighting, diet, cage etc. right now it’s a pair in a twenty gallon long tank and she’s been laying consistently. The cage has a sand bath and fake plants but when I tried a nest box (old finch nest box) and she didn’t use it.
3C5587FE-CEC8-4162-8B78-BB3D42971CC4.jpeg

I know @BirdsBeesTrees and @FloorCandy had broody quail before!
I'm not so sure, though, that there is a way to encourage broodiness in quail.
When it comes to chickens, I found having golf balls in the nest boxes encouraged the chickens to become broody because there is something for them to sit on. Maybe if you leave some fake quail eggs in there for a while, the quail may have an urge to go broody? I don't have quail right now, but I used to. I've never had a broody quail, and I don't think it's very common.

Good luck.

How old are they ? How long they been paird? And you can offer them some Timothy hey to make a nest out of mine use it to build a nest and for the pair who are lazy I take a big hand full and make them a nest in there fave laying spot and set the eggs back in it, i only offer the heat lamp if I know the nest area isnt warm enough to were the mom wanted to sit there (it was the picky mom vlad she wont raise a kid) shana goes broody and raises them her self so be ready to have a brood box incase urs dont want to raise them after hatching also even with shana i had to remove the dad who tried to attack the kids so 50/50 on the dad

No glass tanks, they're stressed by the reflections and lack of cover. Semi-clear bins OK, I used to make bin cages with wire fronts and tops and doors in front so I never had to feed from above.

Hens will only go broody if they are not scared. Thick artificial plants, lots of hay, a parakeet nest box on its back with the roof removed and filled with hay will be accepted as a nest if placed in a shady corner.

Most only sit a few days and abandon their eggs.

How old are they ? How long they been paird? And you can offer them some Timothy hey to make a nest out of mine use it to build a nest and for the pair who are lazy I take a big hand full and make them a nest in there fave laying spot and set the eggs back in it, i only offer the heat lamp if I know the nest area isnt warm enough to were the mom wanted to sit there (it was the picky mom vlad she wont raise a kid) shana goes broody and raises them her self so be ready to have a brood box incase urs dont want to raise them after hatching also even with shana i had to remove the dad who tried to attack the kids so 50/50 on the dad
Well they’re about ten weeks so future plans most likely and have been together their whole lives

Well they’re about ten weeks so future plans most likely and have been together their whole lives
And they are in pairs and plenty of space ? Id say give them the nest stuff in the place they like to lay and sleep since they are 10 weeks you can have some start to go bloody it takes 8 to 10 to fully mature

Y
And they are in pairs and plenty of space ? Id say give them the nest stuff in the place they like to lay and sleep since they are 10 weeks you can have some start to go bloody it takes 8 to 10 to fully mature
yep this is a pair and what would be the best nesting material I have some sheep wool and hay along with their pine shavings.

Back
Top Bottom