Broody Chicken Problems

Stink

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2020
Vermont, USA
A week or so ago one of our chickens got broody. Last night we tried to transfer her to a dog crate to lay so that we can give her chicks in a few weeks. We transferred her and her eggs without any light and pretty efficiently. She settled down on her eggs and slept there at least for an hour or so (we don't know how long exactly). However, this morning when we went to check on her she was back in a nesting box sitting on someone's fresh egg. She had completely abandoned her first eggs. I was wondering if there was something else we should try to get her to be broody in the dog crate instead of the box. We would really like her to not be in the box because it's high off the ground and will be dangerous for the chicks when we get them. If you have any suggestions that would be great!

Are your nesting boxes removable so that you can lower it to the ground?
She will keep going to that nesting box, it is most likely the same box she always lays her egg in.
What sized crate are you using?

Are your nesting boxes removable so that you can lower it to the ground?
She will keep going to that nesting box, it is most likely the same box she always lays her egg in.
What sized crate are you using?
No our nesting boxes aren’t removable unfortunately. The crate we would like her to lay in is probably roughly 15 x 30 or something like that. It’s also all enclosed (not a wire dog crate) besides for the door.

No our nesting boxes aren’t removable unfortunately. The crate we would like her to lay in is probably roughly 15 x 30 or something like that. It’s also all enclosed (not a wire dog crate) besides for the door.
If you want her to stay in the crate, I think you will need a bigger crate and all wire. This will allow you to put food and water in the crate and still allow her to stand up and walk to poop away from the nest.

If you want her to stay in the crate, I think you will need a bigger crate and all wire. This will allow you to put food and water in the crate and still allow her to stand up and walk to poop away from the nest.
Alright sounds good. I will try later tonight with our bigger wire crate. Thanks for the suggestion

Back
Top Bottom