mermaidmadi

Chirping
Mar 17, 2017
Waco, Tx
Hi all!
My duck has gone broody inside my chicken coop... she’s not in a nesting box, but I’m not quite sure how to keep any ducklings that may hatch safe from the chickens.
I have no idea how many eggs she is sitting on, but I was able to peek a few days ago and it seems to be a good-sized clutch. I would say she’s been sitting a little over a week now.
Do I risk moving her nest and disturbing the eggs? I’m afraid she will abandon them! I’ve had a duck go broody before, but it was out in the yard and I was able to make a good sized protected area for her and pretty much let her be... thanks for any help!

Hi all!
My duck has gone broody inside my chicken coop... she’s not in a nesting box, but I’m not quite sure how to keep any ducklings that may hatch safe from the chickens.
I have no idea how many eggs she is sitting on, but I was able to peek a few days ago and it seems to be a good-sized clutch. I would say she’s been sitting a little over a week now.
Do I risk moving her nest and disturbing the eggs? I’m afraid she will abandon them! I’ve had a duck go broody before, but it was out in the yard and I was able to make a good sized protected area for her and pretty much let her be... thanks for any help!
I had a duck hen that would fly/climb over the fencing that I have up that separates my ducks from my chickens. In doing so, she found her way into the chicken coop and in to a nest box. On a few occasions lol. I shooed her out though. She was pretty determined to sit though and eventually found a new place for a nest, which was in her duck coop, so I let her sit on a clutch. That is my only experience with a broody duck but I bet that if you have her a nice, comfy and safe place for her to sit all made up... and move her, she will probably settle back down relatively quickly. Do you know if she is sitting on duck eggs or chicken eggs? Or maybe a combination of both? I think moving the eggs safely would be the most difficult part of the situation.

I had a duck hen that would fly/climb over the fencing that I have up that separates my ducks from my chickens. In doing so, she found her way into the chicken coop and in to a nest box. On a few occasions lol. I shooed her out though. She was pretty determined to sit though and eventually found a new place for a nest, which was in her duck coop, so I let her sit on a clutch. That is my only experience with a broody duck but I bet that if you have her a nice, comfy and safe place for her to sit all made up... and move her, she will probably settle back down relatively quickly. Do you know if she is sitting on duck eggs or chicken eggs? Or maybe a combination of both? I think moving the eggs safely would be the most difficult part of the situation.
When I was able to peek, it seems she is only on duck eggs. I don’t have a rooster, so I was worried about her sitting on some rotting chicken eggs, but as far as I’m aware, it’s just duck (unless she’s stolen some- which has happened before 😂) any suggestions on moving the eggs? That’s what I’m worried about- or her being aggressive when I try to shoo her off to move them

When I was able to peek, it seems she is only on duck eggs. I don’t have a rooster, so I was worried about her sitting on some rotting chicken eggs, but as far as I’m aware, it’s just duck (unless she’s stolen some- which has happened before 😂) any suggestions on moving the eggs? That’s what I’m worried about- or her being aggressive when I try to shoo her off to move them
Yeah my hen would bite at me every time I got close to her. Long sleeves and/or gloves? :gig As for the eggs, I don't really know. Maybe once you remove her from the nest, mark each egg so you know which side was up so you can lay them back down in the same position, or at least close to it? I would just be worried that if the ducklings hatched in the nest box that they'd get crushed or something, being in such a small area. Unless you are able to keep chickens away from her and wait until they are able to hatch and move mom and babies asap so chickens don't get to them. It's possible for the chickens to attack the little ones so I would be concerned about that. I sure hope someone else comes along that may be of more help. I hate to advise you incorrectly.

Can you put some kind of fencing around her till hatch then move mama and babies . My Muscovy brooded and hatched her ducklings In the chicken/ duck coop I used some scrap lattice and made fencing so she would be separated from the chickens and ducks, daily she would come out to eat and drink. She hatched last Wed and she is still in there. I give her and duckling free run of the coop once everyone leaves in the morning. She hasn’t wanted to bring them outside yet.

Last edited:
Can you put some kind of fencing around her till hatch then move mama and babies . My Muscovy brooded and hatched her ducklings In the chicken/ duck coop I used some scrap lattice and made fencing so she would be separated from the chickens and ducks, daily she would come out to eat and drink. She hatched last Wed and she is still in there. I give her and duckling free run of the coop once everyone leaves in the morning. She hasn’t wanted to bring them outside yet.
Oh thank you!
how did she get in and out to eat and drink?

Back
Top Bottom