Broody has broken egg open and chick inside is breathing

I wish I could give more/better advice! Baby chicks are wet for a while after birth. It takes some time (I don't know how long) to fluff out. From my very limited experience, baby chicks are super sleepy and seem to fall asleep in the middle of doing things.
*IF* something bad does happen, do NOT beat yourself up. Just know that you are doing the best you could with what you have. But you have wonderful people here to help 😊

It has been about 12 hour since she completely broke free of her shell now. She still looks wet she is getting little actions of fluff but I’m concerned her fluff isn’t as thick as a normal healthy chick, even when it does dry out I feel like they will be a bit sparse. This makes me think maybe she’s pre term. Her leg has thankfully sorted itself out. She is standing on both legs okay now and pushing herself up occasionally. She seems weak and very sleepy. Like she will be trying to walk and then just lays down asleep. Is this normal for a 12 hour old chick or does she sound weak?
She’s 24 hours since she came in now so she is fighting. I’m just worried she is weak or maybe didn’t go the full 21 days. I haven’t seen a normal chicks first day in an incubator for example, so I have no point of reference!
This is such great news! Okay, its only been 12 hours, she'll be fluffy in no time. When I incubate, I notice they usually look like they have sparse fluff when they're wet. I bet she'll look perfectly normal in another 12 hours. 😁
I'm so glad that her leg is back to normal! Scooting around is perfectly normal. All of the chicks I hatched in the past seemed to act almost exactly like your sweet Hope. Standing occasionally, wobbling, peeping, maybe take a step or two. Then sit back down and sleep. 🥰 Its pretty precious. Keep us updated on how your little girl does, this is truly a miracle.

Okay headed to the feed store now and will see what they have. Should I wet the mash or just give it dry?
I would wet the crumble to a mash just to make it easier to eat. I find that most chicks get more excited about mash then dry crumble as well. Try to get some Nutri-Drench, probiotic powder, and electrolytes. The probiotics are immune boosting. Since most of the immune system is the gut, adding probiotics support the good bacteria, boosting the immune system. You can do 50/50 Nutri-Drench in he drinking water, make sure to offer plain water on the side.
The only problem I see here is that Hope is a lone chick. Chicks do SO much better with another chick. They show them how to do things, and it makes them much easier to integrate. Stuffed animals work well, but having a lone chick is never ideal. Not sure if you still have chicks in feed stores in your area, but if you do, maybe explain to them that you have a lone chick, and would like to purchase one (or more if you can fit it) for Hope.
You could also try to give her back to the broody, but this doesn't always work.

Hoping for the best! I had a wee silkie x chick that was very tiny and very wobbly on his legs. But he got stronger within a week and now he is a 6 week old terror! And he is as big as his clutch mates.

You can try reintigrating the chick with mama when she gets stronger, do it at night, tuck the wee one in with mama and see if it settles under her. If the chick accepts mama you should be ok.

Yes all excellent advice! I may be scarred from raising chicks after this. 🤦‍♀️ Honestly if I’d have been more prepared I would have done all of this. I wasn’t really sure I was going to leave her to sit until it was too late to do all this. It was one of those back and forth things like - no we don’t need to raise more chicks, we have enough on our plate - but then curiosity took over once she continued to sit so diligently. I will definitely take all this advice on board if there is a next time. 😊

She seems to have sorted her one leg out and is attempting to walk now at 6am. She still looks very wet and seems weak and sleepy, but she is chirping and trying to walk/pushing herself around and definitely fights and chirps when I picked her up to show her the water.
When I placed her beak in the water she did take a little gulp but then kept holding her head back and opening her mouth like she was still gulping and I was worried for a second she was drowning or maybe couldn’t swallow. Is this something they need to learn at hours old or does she maybe have a problem there? Again, these most basic things have always been taught here by a mother hen. I am completely clueless here.
Thank you all again so much for your responses. Nearly 24 hours in and I can’t believe she’s still alive. Im really rooting for her but just don’t know yet how this will end. All suggestions are appreciated. I will stop and buy some vitamins this morning for her. When do you know if you need to syringe feed?

She still looks wet she is getting little actions of fluff but I’m concerned her fluff isn’t as thick as a normal healthy chick, even when it does dry out I feel like they will be a bit sparse. This makes me think maybe she’s pre term. Her leg has thankfully sorted itself out. She is standing on both legs okay now and pushing herself up occasionally. She seems weak and very sleepy.
Great suggestions from everyone.
Personally if I have a chick that's weak, I crush up 1/4 tablet B-Complex and mix it with a very small amount of water. Then I give drops of the vitamin water through out the day, alternating with either plain water or sugar water. I aim for a couple of drops of vitamin, then a couple of drops of plain water every hour or so.

Chicks down can look sparse if she's still wet or if the down is stiff and stuck. If she's dry, you can gently use a soft brush to fluff up the down.

I agree with giving wet mash. It's just a little chick starter soaked in water for a little while to make an "mash".
You want her hydrated first, then eating.

When you have time, more photos! Hopefully this is a good sign that she's going to make it.

Okay headed to the feed store now and will see what they have. Should I wet the mash or just give it dry?
Super watered down mash is what I would try before giving dry feed. When I had a chick like that, I fed her by prying her beak open and feeding her piece by piece because she wouldn’t eat otherwise. I also had to help her drink. She also had a leg and swallowing/throwing up issue, but it resolved itself after about a week of special care. She was miserable by herself, so we put a little friend in with her. If she gets better soon, I would recommend putting a friend in with her, but only if she is better.

She was miserable by herself, so we put a little friend in with her. If she gets better soon, I would recommend putting a friend in with her, but only if she is better.
You can also setup a see no touch brooder if you find a chick and don't think you'll find one later.
Just divide the brooder in half with harder cloth. They'll have each other, but no one can hurt the other.

It has been about 12 hour since she completely broke free of her shell now. She still looks wet she is getting little actions of fluff but I’m concerned her fluff isn’t as thick as a normal healthy chick, even when it does dry out I feel like they will be a bit sparse. This makes me think maybe she’s pre term. Her leg has thankfully sorted itself out. She is standing on both legs okay now and pushing herself up occasionally. She seems weak and very sleepy. Like she will be trying to walk and then just lays down asleep. Is this normal for a 12 hour old chick or does she sound weak?
She’s 24 hours since she came in now so she is fighting. I’m just worried she is weak or maybe didn’t go the full 21 days. I haven’t seen a normal chicks first day in an incubator for example, so I have no point of reference!
I've read that black chicks have a sticky coating unlike other color chicks.Maybe this is why its still wet? It will take a little longer is all.

Back
Top Bottom