Broody hatch-a-long!!! With Pippin!

Pics
does she still get off the eggs herself? I do bring water to momma a couple of times a day to keep her hydrated, but I’ve read that if broodies are fed while they’re on the eggs they might poop in the nest... so I’ve been wary.

Not that my momma would ever eat anything offered to her when she’s in the zone, lol.
Mine leave the nest every morning to eat and and do her other activities and then come back. She is outside right now as I’m typing this

does she still get off the eggs herself? I do bring water to momma a couple of times a day to keep her hydrated, but I’ve read that if broodies are fed while they’re on the eggs they might poop in the nest... so I’ve been wary.

Not that my momma would ever eat anything offered to her when she’s in the zone, lol.
She doesn't leave that much, saw her the other day taking a dush bath, she returned to the coop a few minutes later. (Leaving behind a big, green, stinky poop!)
I don't see her out of the nest but maybe she leaves when I'm not there? She doesn't poop on the eggs.
I've heard stories of broodies who didn't leave the nest and starved to death... May not be true but I'm not taking any chances!

Broodies tend not to leave the nest until 24-48 hours after the first chicks hatch
I know this guy that make his chickens hatch 2 sets of eggs before leaving the nest. After they hatch the first set he will take the chicks and give her fresh eggs to hatch and it always work. I take it as cruelty

Back
Top Bottom