Broody hatch-a-long!!! With Pippin!

Pics
I think I should post my broody as well
883E6057-6769-49A2-B08C-BEA457E3E94B.jpeg

My hen is currently sitting on 7 eggs all fertile and they are on day 15
4 silky eggs
1 Cochin x banyard mix hen
2 noiler eggs (noilers are just broiler hybrids. They grow really fast and lay eggs just like layers)
By the way I’m from Nigeria 🇳🇬

I think I should post my broody as well
View attachment 2699680
My hen is currently sitting on 7 eggs all fertile and they are on day 15
4 silky eggs
1 Cochin x banyard mix hen
2 noiler eggs (noilers are just broiler hybrids. They grow really fast and lay eggs just like layers)
By the way I’m from Nigeria 🇳🇬
We are both on day 15!!!
Welcome to the hatch-a-long.
Pippin is on day 15 with 4 polish eggs (she had 6 eggs but 2 were infertile).
Good luck!

Violetta stayed on the nest for 2 days and nights after chick hatched, even tho I removed the dud egg. This is a good built-in instinct tho, because you wouldn’t want mom to abandon the nest too soon if you had any late eggs.
This morning she announced she was getting up, at which point the chick hopped out of the nest first! Mom showed her the food and water. Not sure if little Juno drank or not, I just have to trust that this has all worked just fine so far and not to worry.
They are in a little coop 4’ X 4’ all by themselves. I have mesh over the doorway to keep them inside for a few days.

The days went quite fast for me. Just try to forget about it (not completely).
You can make a detailed plan (like I did) which can take up some time, and do lots of studying about broody hens! The time will fly by!
Oh, I’ve read so many threads and watched so many videos on hatching and broodies, it’s insane😂 I’m already fantasizing about what my next hatch will be: “Satins for sure! Ooh wait... batam EEs are super cute too, okay bantam EEs it is!”

... and that’s how i ended up wanting everything...

i candled all my eggs this morning, I think one that was left out in the cold yesterday may have quit... but not 100% sure yet, so fingers crossed!

Attachments

• 270BE05C-C94A-4C8C-AEB2-31C3D83DC400.jpeg
    270BE05C-C94A-4C8C-AEB2-31C3D83DC400.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 7
Violetta and Juno go in and out of the nest (which I finally was able to clean out) and all around their little coop. Juno knows how to be a chicken, how to drink, how to eat. She (he) comes when mama calls, and butts mama with her head when she wants to get under. 53B52FF0-0A96-4B0A-98BB-9D89359E709B.jpeg

That's simply adorable! is that a diy nipple feeder?
It’s for water, yes, we made it from a juice bottle.
Here's an old pic of 2 of them side by side. Baby chicks learn to use the nipples easily. It's a great way to keep clean water at all times. I don't give them an alternative source until they can go outdoors.
waterer.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom