Broody hen rejected early chick

The other egg hatched! The chick looks healthy, so I'll let it get its land legs in the brooder and put all three out together when they are ready. I'm absolutely ecstatic!
How great to read about this sneaky broody, her staggered hatch and how you acted upon it.
And now some photoā€™s please. šŸ˜

How great to read about this sneaky broody, her staggered hatch and how you acted upon it.
And now some photoā€™s please. šŸ˜
This one is my favourite =) Chicken school!!!

1685694708079.png

This is a picture of the early chick with its compatriots in the brooder. Early one is at the bottom, the one we found choking on straw is the top, and the little solid black one is the one that hatched in the brooder. I haven't gotten a picture of the newest arrival that hatched last night because it is still drying off under a cozy tea towel and I don't want to disturb it.

1685694744926.png

Henrietta watching over the flock while they explore the chick crumbs.

1685694765778.png

I have to go into town to do some things today, but will continue to update as we integrate the little rescue rejects with their family. I'm hoping to get a big family picture with everyone together at last!

Good news! The last chick to hatch was very strong and ready to go with mom within hours of drying off.

It was a warm day so Henrietta and her brood were in the run exploring. We came in with the last three babies and popped them in amongst their siblings; Henrietta didn't even seem to notice.

This morning every chick is still there and they all seem to be thriving. I've noticed the earlier ones are starting to get adorable little wing feathers and it makes my heart fill with joy.

I'll grab some updated pictures today when I go back out to top up their little waterer.

Back
Top Bottom