Broody hen sitting on eggs

Well, we all have our different opinions and methods.

I personally would separate the hen, and feed her and the hen chicks crumb as suggested by others. Why change everyone's feed?

Well, it OP's decision.... I am advising this for the best for the chicks.

I have been told that I am wrong before. I am not asking for this- just advising from my experience. And I came here to help OP.

Last edited:
Hello, this is my first time owning chickens and I have a hen who is currently sitting on 5 fertile eggs... The eggs are around 2 weeks old and I have candled them and I can definitely see chicks inside! My broody hen is in a coop with 1 other hen who is not broody, when the eggs begin to hatch do I need to seperate my broody hen and her eggs to a different area or do I leave her in her normal coop? Also, once the chicks have hatched do I need to change the hens’ food to the pullet grower too?
Is the other hen laying?
Has she tried to lay in the broodies nest?
Do you only have the two birds and the one coop?

It might not be necessary to seclude broody and chicks,
depends on the layout of your coop and the demeanor of the other hen.
Seeing pics of your coop layout showing the nests would help here.

Need more info to advise solutions for your situation.

I have never used layer feed, as I have always had a mixed gender flock with some birds that are not laying due to age or time of year.
Purina Flock Raiser crumble(20% protein), with Oyster Shell in a separate feeder for the active layers needing more calcium, has worked out just fine from hatch to dispatch for 7 years now.

I always separate broody, before giving her fertile eggs, into a coop partition created with a temporary wire wall.
I find it easier to manage the broody that way...for multiple reasons which I won't go into here because it doesn't match your situation.
I take down wire wall about a week after hatch and broody finds her way back into the flocks pecking order. I also have hiding places for the chicks and a creep feeder set up so they can eat and drink in peace.

I have had a broody hatch eggs and I created a chicken wire divider in the coop because it was my first time and I wasn't on BYC yet. Well, my broody is one of the bossiest hens there is, after the chicks were a week old, she would holler at me so I let her and the chicks mingle with the flock. They did great! She knew when to have them all together.
The second time she went broody, I didn't divide her. She is my best broody momma!
It truly depends on your flock and you know your ladies best.
The divider is great to have especially if you get new flock members and need to do the see but no touch integrations. The way I made mine was very simple and it rolls up when not in use.

Congratulations on your first broody hatch!
DO NOT separate or remove the broody from the flock, especially if the flock is just one other hen. The broody will protect the chicks and the other hen will, more than likely, not bother the chicks at all. She will be curious and mom may let her greet them.
How much space is in the coop (and hopefully attached run) that the broody and her non-broody room mate are in? Mom will need a lot of room.
How old is the other hen? Generally, broodies will not tolerate pullets near their chicks but other hens are frequently well tolerated. Broodies viscously drive off pullets and cockerels. So if the other hen is actually a pullet, mom will drive her off and she needs room to get away.
View attachment 2429492View attachment 2429493View attachment 2429494
I would immediately put the flock on Flock Raiser or All Flock crumbles and put out a container or two of oyster shell for the active layers.
Thankyou, I will do some of this!

Is the other hen laying?
Has she tried to lay in the broodies nest?
Do you only have the two birds and the one coop?

It might not be necessary to seclude broody and chicks,
depends on the layout of your coop and the demeanor of the other hen.
Seeing pics of your coop layout showing the nests would help here.

Need more info to advise solutions for your situation.

I have never used layer feed, as I have always had a mixed gender flock with some birds that are not laying due to age or time of year.
Purina Flock Raiser crumble(20% protein), with Oyster Shell in a separate feeder for the active layers needing more calcium, has worked out just fine from hatch to dispatch for 7 years now.

I always separate broody, before giving her fertile eggs, into a coop partition created with a temporary wire wall.
I find it easier to manage the broody that way...for multiple reasons which I won't go into here because it doesn't match your situation.
I take down wire wall about a week after hatch and broody finds her way back into the flocks pecking order. I also have hiding places for the chicks and a creep feeder set up so they can eat and drink in peace.
My other hen is laying and she has tried to lay in my broodys nest once, yes only two chickens and one coop but for most of the day they are normally out (my broody stays in). I have some photos up with my original post.

I have had a broody hatch eggs and I created a chicken wire divider in the coop because it was my first time and I wasn't on BYC yet. Well, my broody is one of the bossiest hens there is, after the chicks were a week old, she would holler at me so I let her and the chicks mingle with the flock. They did great! She knew when to have them all together.
The second time she went broody, I didn't divide her. She is my best broody momma!
It truly depends on your flock and you know your ladies best.
The divider is great to have especially if you get new flock members and need to do the see but no touch integrations. The way I made mine was very simple and it rolls up when not in use.
Okay, I’m not sure yet about if I’m going to divide it or not, but at the moment I think I will. Thanks for your help!

Well, we all have our different opinions and methods.

I personally would separate the hen, and feed her and the hen chicks crumb as suggested by others. Why change everyone's feed?

Well, it OP's decision.... I am advising this for the best for the chicks.

@DobieLover, you (and @aart) have told me I am wrong before. I am not asking for this- just advising from my experience. And I came here to help OP.
Alright, I’m pretty sure that I’m going to seperate them and just feed the momma and chicks the same food. Thankyou for your help!

My other hen is laying and she has tried to lay in my broodys nest once, yes only two chickens and one coop but for most of the day they are normally out (my broody stays in). I have some photos up with my original post.
I'd leave them together.
Is the broody in a low or high nest?

Back
Top Bottom