BROODY HEN!!!!! (will this work?)

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
My moms OLD black star he that isnt laying eggs anymore is BROODY. Im gonna be putting some of my ducks eggs under her soon. But will this work? Chicken mamma with baby ducks?

Thats actually how I am hatching my ducks... The hen lays on them and after hatching I had to bring them in.. Good luck..

Quote:
Thanks! Im gonna keep my bator on and ready just in case since black stars arent supposed to be the best broodies. Im hopeing she will do good though. She tryed ALL last spring to hatch chicken eggs, but we didnt have a rooster, so we kicked her off the whole time. I found another big nest of 12 eggs that she was sitting on, but again they werent fertile, so im gonna put some pure bred rouen eggs, and some khaki/rouen eggs under her. Or maybe just rouen eggs. I dont know. But if shes a good mamma I will keep her for spring, and put more eggs under her.

Momma hens will hatch just about any eggs you put under them while broody. I used a broody to hatch guinea keets out and they go a full week longer than chicken eggs. She'll hatch them and raise them just like they were her own
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats good. I just put three under her, she sat on them, do you think I can put more under her tomarrow? I only have three female ducks, and they lay a eggs everyday.

Back
Top Bottom