Broody hens scary croaking, respiratory illness??

Juicydugong

Hatching
Mar 29, 2022
Hello!
My silkie and Australorp have become broody recently.
I’m not sure if it’s right but I’ve been taking them out of the nest everyday with the two other hens to make sure they’re walking and eating etc.
They are acting completely fine, but when I open the coop they run straight into the nesting box. Something that’s been concerning me, particularly with Austalorp is that they have been croaking.
The australorp sounds like a skinwalker!!?!!??? This started with her today, it scared me when I first heard it as I thought there may have been a cat or big bird outside attacking them; but it was just her.
The increased croakiness is only really concerning in the Australorp, the silkie seems okay. The non broody hens aren’t doing this

They are walking fine and I haven’t noticed any other symptoms yet, (haven’t noticed gaping or neck extending, sneezing etc) but when I let them back into the coop the silkie ate for a while before heading up to the nesting box, while the Australorp didn’t. But I did see her pecking and eating from the dirt and grass all day.
Is this normal?? I’ll add a video of the Australorp croaking, it sounds terrifying and not normal at all.This only started today

I don't think the sound is particularly concerning, and the bird looks in good condition. Are you wanting them to hatch chicks or not? If not, it would be better for their health to break the broodiness sooner rather than later.

I don't think the sound is particularly concerning, and the bird looks in good condition. Are you wanting them to hatch chicks or not? If not, it would be better for their health to break the broodiness sooner rather than later.
That’s such a relief!! This is the first time I’ve owned chickens so I wasn’t sure.
And no they won’t be hatching, I think im going to try to put them in a kennel with food and water soon to break them. Although I’d prefer not to do that, im trying some other methods first.
Thank you!!

That’s such a relief!! This is the first time I’ve owned chickens so I wasn’t sure.
And no they won’t be hatching, I think im going to try to put them in a kennel with food and water soon to break them. Although I’d prefer not to do that, im trying some other methods first.
Thank you!!
What are you doing to break them?

What are you doing to break them?
I’ve just been taking them out of the roost everyday to go with the other chickens. The Australorp only started to become broody today and the silkie for a couple days. But obviously it isn’t working because they head straight back up there as soon as they’re let in the coop. Gonna kennel them tomorrow if I can’t find another way!!

Back
Top Bottom