Sudden change in behavior

Mutha_Clucka

Chirping
Apr 10, 2023
Los Angeles
I’m a newer byc mama and my Easter eggers are 22 weeks old. I just opened their nesting boxes to them last week. They have been good about checking them out but not hanging out to long in them and sleeping on their roosts at night. They haven’t laid any eggs yet.

Tonight though when I was closing them in for the night I noticed one of my pullets laying down in the back corner of the nesting box. All the other girls were on the roosts. I encouraged her to stand up and walk into the coop but she just went right back to the same spot. She also was making a different croaking sound I haven’t heard from them before. I’m wondering if she is uncomfortable, in pain or possibly sick? Not sure what to do or make of this.

It was a hot day so I had a small fan blowing through the window of their coop until I went to close them in. I don’t know if maybe she was just chilly? Or maybe dust? This was the first time using the little fan. Maybe she could be scared of it?

All the girls were free ranging this afternoon and were totally healthy and normal. Normal poop, behaviors, playing, eating. I gave them electrolytes as well today for extra hydration cause of the heat and even did a mite check in their vents today. They were all super clean.

The only other thing I can think of is they ran around the yard a little more than normal, got spooked a little more than normal today. Maybe just overall change and stress? Also thought maybe she could be getting ready to lay? But I’m not sure.

Thoughts? Any advice or tips would be helpful.

Do you have a video of the noise she's making?
Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Hard to say what's going on, it may be she's trying to lay her first egg. Pullets can act a bit strange and make noises when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom