Broody Leghorns

Heidihoskins

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2019
I have a question about my Leghorn hens. I had several Leghorns shipped to me last year. They are laying well. I read on line that they seldom go broody, yet 3 of my 4 Leghorn hens have taken off, disappeared for awhile, and then shown back up with chicks in tow. My Rhode Island Red and Americana have never hatched chicks (except for 1 Americana hatched 3 chicks). Why do you think this is happening, when everything I read says they dont go broody?

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
I have a question about my Leghorn hens. I had several Leghorns shipped to me last year. They are laying well. I read on line that they seldom go broody, yet 3 of my 4 Leghorn hens have taken off, disappeared for awhile, and then shown back up with chicks in tow. My Rhode Island Red and Americana have never hatched chicks (except for 1 Americana hatched 3 chicks). Why do you think this is happening, when everything I read says they dont go broody?
Because birds are individuals and they never read the rule books.
Hormones dictate if a bird will or won't go broody.

The Moonshiner

Legendary Leghorns
Premium Feather Member
Nov 17, 2016
Missouri
Are you sure they're leghorns?
White eggs, white ear lobes, yellow shanks?
I raise a lot of leghorns and seems unbelievably rare to have 3 out of 4 go broody in one season.
Not saying I don't take your word for it but curious if there's a breed mix up to explain it.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom