Broody Mama hatched her first clutch

mfbenning

Chirping
Aug 26, 2020
So my beautiful lavender mama Louise hatched her first clutch over the last two days! 6 babies! You can only see three in the photo.
I'm wondering if I should keep her and the babies in with my regular flock or if I should separate them?
IMG-7297.jpg

Cute momma you have there! We had our first Broody this year as well! I put a little rabbit hutch box on the floor of the coop so she could sleep in there with her babies. They also have a waterer at ground level and a little feeder. I am so happy I left them with the flock, I have mail order babies in the brooder in the garage right now and they are SO MUCH MORE WORK! Broody momma is seriously the best and she is teaching them everything! I was so paranoid the others would pick on them or the rooster would kill them but they are already part of the flock. The other hens actually help feed them treats! I actually have a second broody that has been sitting on 5 eggs for about a week and I hope the others are close to weaned by the time they hatch.

It should be fine both ways, just at night don’t let her sleep with the rest of the chickens. Such adorable cuties!! 🥺❤️
Why not?

I let my broody stay with the flock. Everybody was fine. Broody slept on the floor with the babies. They had a low-level nesting box they could all reach, but she preferred the ground for some reason.

If I have mamas raise chicks I have always left them with the flock, a broody will whip anybodies butt that messes with her babies. My roosters have always left her and the chicks alone . Almost always I have to move them to a low nest box so the chicks can get in and out but that's it, the coop doors are also at ground level so easy in and out there too. If you have an elevated coop, that might be a different story. I adore seeing chicks with mommas, it's just the best. Your Louise is beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom