Broody or Ill???

amorrison

Hatching
Jul 8, 2015
My 2 ladies have been raised together from chicks. Buffy (Buff Orpington) has always been the dominant one. Now about 3 years old, out of the blue last week, we heard a terrible shrieking. Henrietta (Welsummer) had Buffy pinned in the corner & was attacking. Buffy sought out a hiding position inside the henhouse, we had to separate them to get Henrietta to stop attacking.
Buffy had some slight damage to her comb and a spot under one wing, so up went the mesh fencing & we divided the henhouse, to keep them separated until Buffy heals.
It's been 1 week, Buffy won't leave the nest box except for once a day to come out to eat & drink, however, only if Henrietta is completely removed from the separated enclosure & out of sight on the other side of our yard. Buffy ruffles up her feathers if I stick my head inside the henhouse, in the meantime, Henrietta, who has always had some "rooster like" behaviors, even though she's not been the dominant one, has increased her "rooster crows". (Crazy gal!)
When I approach Henrietta, she is her usual calm self, but when she sees Buffy come out of the nest box, she goes berserk & I'm sure she's attack her again.
Both were steady 1 egg a day layers. Since this has happened, zero eggs from Buffy & 1 today from Henrietta.
My question is:
Could the sudden attack be because Henrietta senses Buffy is sick?
or
Is Buffy Broody and Henrietta is upset by that?

A lot of chicken drama, Thank you for any input, advice, or experiences you can share.

Ashley Morrison-Roberts

Sounds like Buffy is broody. Not sure why Henrietta is getting aggressive over it. I have a broody that I recently separated but before, I'd kick her out of the nesting box after handing out breakfast so she wouldn't miss it. She'd poof up like a turkey and drop a wing around the other 18 girls and they'd pay her no mind.

Back
Top Bottom