Broody quail: Day 0

HappySetHayes

In the Brooder
Dec 11, 2017
Thought this might interest some people on here :)

One of my coturnix quails has gone broody and I've just put a clutch of shipped eggs under her - you can see one sticking out with red paint on it (to distinguish it from the infertile eggs that the others may lay nearby).

I've gone for nine eggs, but may take one out if she doesn't manage to sit on them all by tomorrow (the one sticking out).

This quail was herself hatched out from a shipped egg under one of my other quails who has gone broody twice before. I only put six eggs under her the last two times - the first time two hatched and last time only one - so I'm hoping for two/three this time if successful!

20190305_190145.jpg

Oh that is so adorable! Now if only mine would go broody! I had hopes for one earlier this month, she built a nest in the corner of the pen with straw and alfalfa, grass, etc, and seemed to be thinking about going broody. Then a dirty racoon got in their raised and heavily wired pen and ate all 4 of my 8 month old quail. (Im so glad i decided to hatch some babes and have some a flock of 2 months old) but still, it was too sad.
Im very interested in seeing how your broody quail does! I hope she keeps sitting and hatches them out :) Shes just so cute fluffed up in that pic :)

Back
Top Bottom