1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Broody silkies ok to lime dust them?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Teresaann24, May 14, 2010.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Songster

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Its been very wet humid here and I have three broodys and I was wondering would it be ok to lime dust my hens on the nest?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What is "lime dusting", and why would you do it?

3. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    isn't lime alkolotic too? I can't imagine that would be good for them. It's used for drying up stalls and covering dead animals... why do you want to put it on your hens?

4. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Songster

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I know it kills bugs and I'v used it in my runs to kill bugs out before with no ill affects before. I just didn't know if it be good for the eggs. I use it to kill out bugs in over 3 years of raising chickens iv used it and have had no problems with lice,mites or any other bug infestation.

5. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    good to know!! I'm new to all of this, so every little bit helps.

6. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Whoa. I 've heard of people applying lime to the ground, but never on the chickens themselves. Are you sure this is safe?

7. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Songster

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Now I can't say 100% its safe...I just know for the past 3 years I have used it.

I use it in my runs and coops.

I don't use tons of it a light dusting about twice a year or more if It seems like the bug population is building up.

It has kept my chickens bug free.

No lice/No mites and all those pesky bugs that like that smelly wet icky chicken poo and ect. Nadda.

NO ill effects on my chickens A light dusting on their backs.

NEVER IN OR CLOSE to their water.

I learned this from old timers who used it for many years on dogs and cats and their chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: