Broody silkies question

TOR

Songster
Dec 29, 2020
Wisconsin
I have 3 silkies gone broody. Not exactly all the same time. I think they are stealing each others eggs at times . Between the 3 of them they have alot of eggs.

When the chicks hatch will they fight over the chicks? What can I possibly expect? I do not have a way right now to separate them.

Also not sure why my light brahma was in there, but maybe to lay a egg. If she did one of the silkies has it now. Those 3 silkies are regular egg collectors.

Attachments

• hatch may 2.jpg
    hatch may 2.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 4
Best case scenario, they all raise the chicks together. Worst case scenario, they fight and injure or kill chicks before you can jump in to do something about it. So best to come up with a plan on where you can separate them, IF the need arises.

Also mark the eggs they're sitting on, and take away any new additions, as you're going to end up with a staggered hatch if other birds are coming in and adding to the pile, which could be a whole different issue.

Best case scenario, they all raise the chicks together. Worst case scenario, they fight and injure or kill chicks before you can jump in to do something about it. So best to come up with a plan on where you can separate them, IF the need arises.

Also mark the eggs they're sitting on, and take away any new additions, as you're going to end up with a staggered hatch if other birds are coming in and adding to the pile, which could be a whole different issue.
Okay TY, think I will close the door to their stall and put food and water in there for them keep the other chickens out. see how that goes.

I do have a stall at other end of barn I use for pigs,but not getting any pigs this year and can clean out make a temporary area and divide. with some chicken wire I have.

I could mark the eggs. Should have done it to begin with. Grey has been sitting now over 10 days. I think they have swapped some of the eggs around between them. Think I will use this as a learning experience.

Thanks

If you have chicken wire, is there a reason you can't separate the broodies in that stall, with their own personal clutches? Maybe candle to get any idea of which eggs are at which stage and group them accordingly, with the oldest going to the one who's been sitting longest. That way if theres delayed hatches under your first batch, you can slip the eggs under the still setting second hen and so forth. Just a thought.

If you have chicken wire, is there a reason you can't separate the broodies in that stall, with their own personal clutches? Maybe candle to get any idea of which eggs are at which stage and group them accordingly, with the oldest going to the one who's been sitting longest. That way if theres delayed hatches under your first batch, you can slip the eggs under the still setting second hen and so forth. Just a thought.
Yes I have plenty chicken wire. I could separate the stall in half get another feeder water, not 3 ways. They are in a pen which is made for a cow, standing cow.

So I just take the hen off the eggs candle? Mark the with specific mark for age. I have never messed with broody hens before all new to me.

I have had broody hens back in the 80s , but totally different scenario.

good idea though

Yes I have plenty chicken wire. I could separate the stall in half get another feeder water, not 3 ways. They are in a pen which is made for a cow, standing cow.

So I just take the hen off the eggs candle? Mark the with specific mark for age. I have never messed with broody hens before all new to me.

I have had broody hens back in the 80s , but totally different scenario.

good idea though
My silkies are pretty tolerant of me fiddling around with their eggs and babies. Its easier to pull off in the dark so you can candle right there with the hens, gentley help yourself to an egg, candle it, mark it and put it back. Maybe mark the edges of the airsac to give yourself an idea of age. Are they nesting in any sort of box, or just in bedding on the stall floor? I used a sideways milk crate for one hen who insisted on nesting under the roosts that worked pretty well to keep the eggs from getting trampled, but I use a plastic washbin screwed to the floor of my broody pen with a semi circle cut out of the side so tiny silkie chicks can hop in and out when they hatch, but eggs can't roll out so easily.

Back
Top Bottom