broody silkie's vs. peafowl eggs

Debbiesflocks

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Washington
I have 8 shipped peafowl eggs i put in the incubator Thursday. Today i got the bright idea to try to let the silkie hens hatch 4 of the peafowl eggs for me. I have a total of 3 broody hens but decided since one of them is a first time broody i would pull her from the nest and let the 2 older hens each have 2 peafowl eggs. I have the other 4 eggs in the Brinsea Eco 20 so i guess we will see who does the better job. I will candle the eggs when they are 10 days in and see what we have.

Last edited:
fl.gif

A guy by me uses only Silkies to hatch his fancy pheasants and gets 90% hatch as do my Silkies when you let them hatch a clutch. It is really a crap shoot when you get eggs in the mail. Sometimes I do good and sometimes nothing. Good Luck but I swear by using Silkies.

To me silkies are like little egg hoarders. when i gave them the eggs yesterday evening I just set the eggs in front of them and they set there about 30 seconds looking at the eggs then they stood up rolled the eggs under them and settled right back down.

I know shipped eggs is a crap shoot I'm just hoping for at least 2 chicks out of the 8 eggs and if i get more, it will be like a bonus.
I bought silver pied and a mix of other pied colors.

Well best i can tell I have 1 egg in the incubator growing. Under the silkie hens i am not sure if any are growing, kind of looked like 4 duds. I will give them them one more week and then i should be able to say 100% whats growing and whats not.

Keeping my fingers crossed for at least 1 or 2 chicks.

Great thread. Thanks for the info. Also, where is a good place for someone to get peafowl eggs in the mail? I see them on ebay but it's a pain... It also seems late in the season so maybe it's impossible.
sad.png

Yes it is getting late in the season. I would think about buying chicks. With the money I have wasted on buying eggs I could of bought live chicks. But it seems when i am looking i never find what i want. Then as soon as I buy some eggs I see peachicks for sale on my local craigslist for $15 each.

Back
Top Bottom