Broody vs incubator

jammyjammy2112

Songster
7 Years
May 23, 2012
ireland
I decided to start a tread about a broody hen vs incubator who do ye think is the best in yer expireance post your comments and your pics here
caf.gif

I've had both success and failure with broody hens and incubators. Me and my pops (greatgrand father not dad) free rang hens always had great success, but the seabrites i have always lay to many so when the some of the eggs hatch the unhatched eggs would roll over an kill the newborn bitties. I've always had success with the incubator but its difficult to get it the right temp. the only loss I've had is when my baby sister played with the temp thing and pretty much fried the eggs.... i think it depends on the type of chicken.

My broody hens always,always ,always do better than my incubator and the chicks seem smarter to top it off!

i had a silkie who hatched 8 out 8 eggs i had an incubator that hatched 6 out 10. i think an incubator is good if you want to hatch rigth away becouse a hen migth not go broody straigth away but if you had a choice i would choose a hen becouse the chicks that i hatched with the hen were more healthy intelligent and more energetic and hyper they like to play and fly and plus the chicks i hatched with the silkie they were not silkies but more then half of the chicks have gone broody themselves and hatched more chicks.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom