Broody won't leave nest to care for chicks

Jrose

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2013
My broody hatched chicken eggs on the 13th.

On the 15th she still hadn't brought them out of the 'broody coop', so I decided to go in and investigate. I took the chicks I'm going to sell and put them in the brooder, and left her 4 chicks to raise. I also destroyed her 'nest' to get her moving.

Today, the 17th, she still hasn't taken the chicks out! Those 4 chicks I left with her were huddled away from her, trembling (not cold, I think weak from no food) and unsure what to do. So I snatched them up and added them to the brooder. She's still in broody mode on the nest with absolutely no eggs or chicks.

I don't mind letting her hatch eggs for me, but should I be worried? Is it safe to just throw another clutch under her if that's what she wants?

So you didn't put food down near the broody/chicks? I usually tempt the broody out with a dish of food next to the nest, scrambled egg is always a big hit. If you can get her to raise a few of the chicks I would.

Regardless if she doesn't eat or drink for days and you can't coax her to start I don't think you have to worry about whether to use her again, she may end up dying.

Last edited:
She's in a 3x3 mini coop, the food and water are in dishes outside in the 12x7 broody pen. She has to leave the coop for food. She got up and ate a little today but is still stressing about her nest.

I have all the chicks inside in the brooder. I also have some others hatching in the incubator tonight.
I put some eggs in her nest to see if she'll set again. If so, I'll take eggs from my other broodies (due in 10 days) and give them to her. Then give the other broodies the 6 day old chicks and the 1 day old chicks to raise outside.

I'm leaving for a few days this week, so I guess it all works out! I won't have to have a neighbor come watch the brooder box :)

Back
Top Bottom