Brown chicken help!

raydraws12

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2023
This brown chicken was dumped at a place I help at and I asked the employees there if this was a rooster or hen as I couldn’t tell… One employee said maybe rooster while another said hen… We have no idea what kind of chicken the lil fella is either. A lot of roosters are dumped here on a regular basis but rarely hens, though it has happened before. The employees do take care of the roosters but management does not want hens here but the only girl who would know for sure moved away and no one can reach her! Please help us identify this guy/girl!

Attachments

• IMG_6389.jpeg
    IMG_6389.jpeg
    950.5 KB · Views: 82
This brown chicken was dumped at a place I help at and I asked the employees there if this was a rooster or hen as I couldn’t tell… One employee said maybe rooster while another said hen… We have no idea what kind of chicken the lil fella is either. A lot of roosters are dumped here on a regular basis but rarely hens, though it has happened before. The employees do take care of the roosters but management does not want hens here but the only girl who would know for sure moved away and no one can reach her! Please help us identify this guy/girl!
My guess is a Buff Orpington Male

Please help us identify this guy/girl!
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Looks like a young cockerel to me.. though it's kinda hard to see the saddle. Legs look a bit yellow for Orpington which was also my first thought to breed.. I would venture a guess at hybrid/mix.

Starting as early as 12 weeks is when gender specific saddle feathers are coming (on non hen feathered breeds) and usually more distinct by 16 weeks... images from google for reference..

1698075835857.png

1698075854078.png

Attachments

• IMG_6403.jpeg
    IMG_6403.jpeg
    902.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6404.jpeg
    IMG_6404.jpeg
    803.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6406.jpeg
    IMG_6406.jpeg
    996 KB · Views: 15
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Looks like a young cockerel to me.. though it's kinda hard to see the saddle. Legs look a bit yellow for Orpington which was also my first thought to breed.. I would venture a guess at hybrid/mix.

Starting as early as 12 weeks is when gender specific saddle feathers are coming (on non hen feathered breeds) and usually more distinct by 16 weeks... images from google for reference..

View attachment 3666386
View attachment 3666387
Here’s more pictures I just took!

Attachments

• IMG_6403.jpeg
    IMG_6403.jpeg
    902.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6404.jpeg
    IMG_6404.jpeg
    803.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6405.jpeg
    IMG_6405.jpeg