Brown Chinese or African?

hi there the one is defiantly a American buff I have 5 of them also I have three production Africans that look like the others . Mine don't look any thing like my Africans that I got from Holderread . but they are good layers. I wish I could post pictures but I don't have any on this computer. beautiful birds.
Thank you. I guess I'll never know for sure what breed they are, but I'm very happy with them and they've settled in very nicely. One of the females laid an egg the day after I got them home. :thI was shocked that she felt comfortable enough to start laying already.

Definitely one American Buff goose. I have a pair and love them. Mine actually laid in the dog kennel on the three and a half hour drive home.

Your male appears to be an African. The other two "brown" geese look a little too heavy and not as delicate as I'd expect Brown Chinese to be. It's been fifteen years since I raised Brown and White Chinese but they were "delicate" in appearance, with longer, more elegant necks than Africans. However, they aren't fully developed at this age and sexual maturity may bring the finer points into play. For now, I'd say the two new girls are hatchery-quality Africans.

Oh my they are beautiful geese! Look very happy as well and what a great place you have for them!
Chinese and African are tricky. They can both have dewlaps but the Africans are usually larger. Also Africans tend to be stockier. There can also be crosses of the African and Chinese as well which is what I think my two are. I originally thought and they were sold to me as Africans. My opinion is that the Chinese are more prevalently sold and a lot of times are sold as Africans as well or they are crossed just sold as Africans. I think yours are either crosses or Chinese. I've heard people say that Africans have more white around the start of their beaks and knobs but I don't necessarily know that to be true. I have heard that the knobs are different shapes as well but I haven't really ever seen a totally different shapes knob, just larger ones on more robust birds. I guess, bottom line, it's tough to tell.
But your geese definitely look healthy and beautiful

Back
Top Bottom