Brown Chinese or African?

Table4Six

Crossing the Road
10 Years
May 22, 2012
Yesterday I picked up three female geese for my sixth month old African gander. The people I bought them from said they did not know what breeds they were and were just helping a friend sell them. I thought two of the females were Africans but when I got them home and compared them to my gander their frames seemed too petite to be Africans. However, I would like to hear more opinions since I’m fairly new to this breed. I also have two pairs of White Chinese and they do resemble my two white females so my second thought was that they could be brown Chinese. The other female I got appears to be an American Buff or Buff Toulouse, but I’m not sure how to tell the difference? The people said they were hatched in spring so I’m guessing they’re around 7-8 months, possibly nine, but I’m not positive. Any suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
E0FF2983-C561-444B-BE67-0889FFB1FDC3.jpeg
BA51E941-5A05-4690-9E01-03F5FCB16706.jpeg
20CDA97C-FF35-4530-9B82-D00717FAC5AA.jpeg
8E1977E9-3130-4C22-9374-ABBF45E6A12D.jpeg
23C11DE1-B6C5-4812-9505-8B3A64C4EF1E.jpeg

1D5E4745-1FFF-4D32-AA51-D044550C347D.jpeg

Beautiful geese I am betting the one is American Buff. The other 2 I’d think @servpolice maybe able to say.
Thank you for your reply. Is there any specific trait which makes you guess it’s an American Buff and not a Toulouse? Sorry about all the questions but I’m just very curious as to what the differences between the two breeds are.

Your goose looks buff colored my Toulouse is grey if you look up the 2 breeds you can tell the difference. Now Buff Dewlap Toulouse of course would be buff colored. I have always read that True African have dewlaps too and most that sell Africans are actually Brown Chinese. But it would be best for someone who is experienced with these breeds to reply. I may even be wrong on your “buff” but she really looks like American Buff to me.

Your goose looks buff colored my Toulouse is grey if you look up the 2 breeds you can tell the difference. Now Buff Dewlap Toulouse of course would be buff colored. I have always read that True African have dewlaps too and most that sell Africans are actually Brown Chinese. But it would be best for someone who is experienced with these breeds to reply. I may even be wrong on your “buff” but she really looks like American Buff to me.
Oh okay that makes sense now. I was unaware that the only buff colored Toulouse were Buff Dewlap. :oops: Thanks again for your response. I didn’t know that brown Chinese were often sold as Africans. My gander is developing a dewlap but the females do not appear to have one which makes me lean even more towards them being Brown Chinese.

Are you going to hatch goslings an just wanted some females for your gander? I bet he is one happy boy!
I just wanted to get him some goose companions and he needed to learn that he was a goose. Long story short, I let my white Chinese females sit on their eggs and only one ended up hatching. Unfortunately, I had to take the gosling away from the parents because it started showing signs of a neurological dissorder and I knew it needed to be seen by a vet. The vet confirmed that the baby was suffering from a severe neurological dissorder and it had to be put down. By that point I had already gotten another gosling to give it company(my African gander.) I got another gosling for him but both turned out to be ganders and I couldn’t take more than one more gander, so I had to re-home the other one. During the time in which I was looking for some females, Chuki’s(my gander) only company was my ducks and he started to think he was one of them, fortunately though, as soon as I introduced him to his new ladies the ducks were all forgotten. :lol: And he is definitely a very proud happy guy now lol.

Back
Top Bottom