Brown leghorn with red earlobes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LilyLovesBugs, Jan 19, 2012.

1. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Can Brown Leghorns have red earlobes? Because mine does, she hasn't laid that I know of, so do you think she'll lay white eggs?

2. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Could she be a welsummer? Brown leghorns and welsummers have similar coloring, and both have single combs. However, the welsummer has red earlobes and lays a brown egg. Their body shapes are a little different. I haven't had chickens long enough to know if a leghorn can have red earlobes. Do you have a photo of the girl in question?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  3. LilyLovesBugs

Aug 1, 2011
    Not really sorry, too cold to take pictures...

4. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I wanted to correct one thing. Brown leghorns can have single combs or rose combs, and there are varieties of each in light brown or dark brown. The Danish brown leghorn only has a single comb, though.

Leghorns have white earlobes and lay white eggs.

I think you have a Welsummer, as was mentioned. That breed looks a lot like a single comb brown leghorn, but Welsummers are larger and lay dark brown eggs.

How old is your hen? Hopefully it will lay an egg soon and you will have a better idea about the breed.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    If you bought her from a hatchery, they are known to do some crossing that can result in atypical traits like wrong comb and/or leg color so I would guess that it could happen. It's also possible you have a Welsummer or a game hen but without photos [​IMG]

6. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY

Yes, I meant to say "both can have single combs". I have rose comb browns- as you can see in my avatar.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Not a leghorn. All the many leghorn varieties have white earlobes. Along with the others, I would guess that she is a Welsummer or cross bred.

8. LilyLovesBugs

Aug 1, 2011
    Dang, all of our hens lay brown eggs, I really wanted a white egger. I am posting some pictures

9. LilyLovesBugs

Aug 1, 2011
    She's a Welsummer, she's lays such pretty eggs that completely covered in speckles.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] Now let us see her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by