Brown leghorn with red earlobes?

LilyLovesBugs

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 1, 2011
Can Brown Leghorns have red earlobes? Because mine does, she hasn't laid that I know of, so do you think she'll lay white eggs?

Could she be a welsummer? Brown leghorns and welsummers have similar coloring, and both have single combs. However, the welsummer has red earlobes and lays a brown egg. Their body shapes are a little different. I haven't had chickens long enough to know if a leghorn can have red earlobes. Do you have a photo of the girl in question?

Last edited:
Could she be a welsummer? Brown leghorns and welsummers have similar coloring, and both have single combs. However, the welsummer has red earlobes and lays a brown egg. Their body shaoes are a little different. I haven't had chickens long enough to know if a leghorn can have red earlobes. Do you have a photo of the girl in question?
Not really sorry, too cold to take pictures...

I wanted to correct one thing. Brown leghorns can have single combs or rose combs, and there are varieties of each in light brown or dark brown. The Danish brown leghorn only has a single comb, though.

Leghorns have white earlobes and lay white eggs.

I think you have a Welsummer, as was mentioned. That breed looks a lot like a single comb brown leghorn, but Welsummers are larger and lay dark brown eggs.

How old is your hen? Hopefully it will lay an egg soon and you will have a better idea about the breed.

If you bought her from a hatchery, they are known to do some crossing that can result in atypical traits like wrong comb and/or leg color so I would guess that it could happen. It's also possible you have a Welsummer or a game hen but without photos
hu.gif

I wanted to correct one thing. Brown leghorns can have single combs or rose combs, and there are varieties of each in light brown or dark brown. The Danish brown leghorn only has a single comb, though.

Leghorns have white earlobes and lay white eggs.

I think you have a Welsummer, as was mentioned. That breed looks a lot like a single comb brown leghorn, but Welsummers are larger and lay dark brown eggs.

How old is your hen? Hopefully it will lay an egg soon and you will have a better idea about the breed.

Yes, I meant to say "both can have single combs". I have rose comb browns- as you can see in my avatar.

Not a leghorn. All the many leghorn varieties have white earlobes. Along with the others, I would guess that she is a Welsummer or cross bred.

Back
Top Bottom