Bucket trap - then what?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by fatcatx, Apr 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. fatcatx

fatcatx Songster

Wondering for those who use a homemade bucket trap for catching rats... How do you dispatch the rats? I got my supplies to make one this weekend but then figured I better have an end game planned if I'm greeted Sunday morning to a bucket of rats.

Sequel, Eggscaping, CCUK and 2 others like this.
  2. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    Toss them in the woods.....

3. fatcatx

fatcatx Songster

I wish I had woods to toss them into! (Preferably the kind with witches and trolls :-D)
    We are in a metro area in CA. It would be a long drive before I'd be anywhere someone wouldn't care if I was dumping rats.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Sequel, Eggscaping and The Phantom like this.
  4. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    Um.... put them in a bag and dump them in the garbage at a gas station.

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  5. Eggscaping

Eggscaping Enjoying Life!

Dec 4, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    Some people who use a bucket type of trap put enough water in the bucket to drown the mouse or rat. Other than that, I would not recommend dumping live animals anywhere. A rat isn't evil, it's just being a rat. While drowning is not quick either, it's either that or something more direct and stomach-churning, like dumping them into a sack and whacking the sack with a shovel until it stops moving. :oops: I, myself like tame rats very much and have raised them, but the wild ones have to go. I suppose the 'water in the bucket' method is the best way for the person who has to deal with the captured rat.

6. The Dapper Duck

The Dapper Duck Songster

Apr 9, 2019
    Coastal Humboldt, CA
    Same as @Eggscaping . Just add water to the bucket and throw the bodies in the garbage can. Clean the water out after each dead rat.

Sequel, Eggscaping and fatcatx like this.
  7. fatcatx

fatcatx Songster

Ugh - this is looking less and less appealing. I've kept rats as pets too. Other than being short-lived, they are awesome. (WAY better than a hamster - just saying ) I'm trying to be as humane as possible and drowning sounded awful. If quick-= more humane then that leaves me emptying them into a pillow case and thumping the bejesus out of them on the pavement.:sick

Sequel, rosemarythyme and Eggscaping like this.
  8. fatcatx

fatcatx Songster

Sequel likes this.
  9. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    If you use a bucket trap you will need to fill it with water. If you don't like the idea of drowning them you can get large snap traps for rats so long as they put there head directly in it, it will be instant.

Sequel likes this.
  10. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    Gruesome. But it does seem the most merciful.

Sequel and fatcatx like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: