Buckeye Chicken Breeders

I am presently looking to buy some Buckeye chickens to be free rangers on my property. If anyone has some that are in my area Connecticut or are willing to ship some, let me know. Thanks, Foggy1
DO you need chicks or hatching eggs-- Mr Rhodes here in Mass has very nice birds. His own line,

I ended up ordering my buckeyes from Welp hatchery. Everyone around here was sold out. Now to get going on the new coop......

Last edited:
I got a call from the hatchery today. They said they need a minimum order of 25. Is there anyone in Northeast Ohio wanting some Buckeyes???

FYI, for the price of shipping, you could probably drive to Meyer Hatchery and pick up the exact number of buckeye chicks that you want. And also if you are looking for great quality, the hatcheries are probably not going to fulfill that very well. They concentrate on quantity as breeders go for quality. I started with hatchery birds. I am not trying to change your mind. Just don't want you to be disappointed if you are wanting them to look like the pics you see in your research. If you just want some for eggs and their personality and instincts, you will probably be pleased. If you want to have great breeding stock, it will not likely happen. Just giving you some information. The hatcheries fill a purpose. I have heard better results from ordering buckeyes from cackle or ideal than any others. In the end if you are happy with the birds you are throwing feed at, that is all that matters. You could always get the 25 and put the extras on craigslist. I just suggest you let them know where you got them from and all that. Good Luck rrounddog.

I ended up ordering my buckeyes from Welp hatchery. Everyone around here was sold out. Now to get going on the new coop......
Just an FYI about hatcheries being sold out. Keep a close eye on Meyer Hatchery's "Available Now" tab on their website. This is a link to birds they have for imediate pick-up, most likely due to cancelled orders or bigger hatchings than anticipated. Yesterday when I checked they had some buckeyes on that list. They are now gone, but keep checking and some pop might up.

And I agree about driving there to pick them up. Their customer service in the store is superb.

Also agree they may not be as pretty as some may get from individual breeders, but you gotta start somewhere, right? My plan is to cut my teeth on hatchery birds this year, then when I am comfortable with my knowledge I will get a Buckeye Trio from one of you fine people!

By the way, I would take you up on sharing some of that order of 25, but my husband would KILL me if added to my upcoming orders. Seriously. I'd be dead. Dead as a chicken dinner. LOL.

Just checking in here. I've been busy lately. Does anyone else have a.y buckeyes in the bator? I wish winter would just pack up and leave. Along with a few others. Bring on the little buckeye babies.

Not yet. Still getting eggs that are too cold for me to try to hatch. Soon tho. If only they would all lay befor 7 in the morning, I would have no problems.

I live in Portage county, Ohio. I have been researching the Buckeye breed for about a year now as they were originally developed less than an hour from here. Is there anyone local that has some chicks available now?
Thanks!
rrhounddog, I live in Portage as well & want Buckeyes. Have you been about to locate any for sale?

Congrats to Joe and Sydney Shumaker for their sweep of the West Central Ohio Poultry Club meet American class. They won Best Breed, Reserve Breed, And Champion American classes. Way to go to both of you!!!

Back
Top Bottom